Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SV 26 experiance

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 04:19 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default SV 26 experiance

I finally got my new SV 26 installed and flown this week end.

The engine was purchased from Hobby City, and with shipping, the total cost was $192!!!!!

After placing the order, I had the engine in about 8 days.

It is installed in a Carl Goldberg Monster Pitts, formerly powered with a Saito 150.

On the install, I used the supplied aluminum stand-offs and their ignition which is automatic advance. At the field, The only adjustment it needed was to richen the high end about 1/2 turn. It started easily, idled perfectly, and transition was smooth after the mentioned adjustment.

The maiden flight went without a hitch, in spite of the 10 kt cross wind. We will see what the longevity is on these little engines, but so far, I am very happy with the supplier and the engine.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:55 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SV 26 experiance

I have a brand new SV26 that I haven't ran as yet. I'm glad to hear a positive report about the engine. It provides me with a bit of confidence. Confidence that is needed to install it in a new model.

When did you buy yours? I bought mine early last year.

How does the model fly after the engine change? I wouldn't expect a gas engine of the same displacement to equal a glow engine, even a four-stroke. TIA

Ed Cregger
Old 08-11-2008, 08:16 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

I have a brand new SV26 that I haven't ran as yet. I'm glad to hear a positive report about the engine. It provides me with a bit of confidence. Confidence that is needed to install it in a new model.

When did you buy yours? I bought mine early last year.

How does the model fly after the engine change? I wouldn't expect a gas engine of the same displacement to equal a glow engine, even a four-stroke. TIA

Ed Cregger
Hello Ed. I bought the engine in June of this year. I have heard of some who needed to advance the timing slightly on early models. Mine seems fine as the top end is strong. Also, I am using a 4.8 Nicad on the ignition, same as on my DL-50. The plane has plenty of speed but lacks vertical power, so I am switching to an 18 X 8 to see what that does. I haven't tacked it yet, but as long as I can get 7200-7400 with that prop, all will be fine. I'll post my findings here for you. I can't believe how easy it starts and well the little guy idles. It really does seem to be quite a bargain so far.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:29 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates?