Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

2nd Helicopter Options?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

2nd Helicopter Options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 03:55 PM
BLBncsu

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2nd Helicopter Options?

Time to start looking to get a better second copter. Currently been flying a Blade CP for 1.5 years on LiPos and its been good to learn on and has been plenty crashed. Reallly looking for a larger more stable heli that won't break the bank. My flying style is just doing patterns, hovering, climbing above the trees in the backyard in the evenings after work, nothing fancy. Looking for suggestions on a second heli, ideally one where I'm not fighting the tail motor or always burning it out. Whats your suggestions?
Old 03-14-2008, 04:04 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2nd Helicopter Options?

Any of the belt drive tail models would be a good step up. I would highly recommend that you consider moving to a more capable heli transmitter than the ones that are included with the ARF models. And then invest in something like a Mini Titan or a T-Rex 450. Decent components.
You will be surprised how much better it will fly.
Vince
Old 03-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Crossfade
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i'm still a newbie at helicopters but i went from a (Don't Laugh Micro Mosquito which kinda sucked) to a HBK 2, then i moved up to a Thunder Tiger E325 Mini Titan which i love and i'm having loads of fun with, now i'm currently fixing to move up to a [link=http://www.helidirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=226&products_id=5423]Gaui Hurricane 550 STD[/link] or a [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/2_382_383/products_id/12686]Raptor E550[/link], You would also need a good 6 channel or more Transmitter for choppers like these such as a Spectrum or a Futaba just 2 name a few, I use a Spectrum DX7.

If i were you and my budget would allow it i'd go with one of those, But thats just my opinion

Hope that helps
Old 03-14-2008, 04:44 PM
BLBncsu

Well I'm definetly looking at a belt driven tail type of copter but not sure yet if I want to go to the expense of buying a radio/receiver/gyro, etc.. Trying to keep the budget low-medium on this one if possible. Keep the suggestions coming!!
Old 03-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Crossfade
My Feedback: (1)

Well if your not willing to buy a radio/receiver/gyro, etc then your only other option is to get a RTF such as a HBK 2 or a Belt CP just to name a few which come with everything you need except a Head Holding gyro, they come with a rate gyro which you can upgrade em with a HH gyro later on.

From my personnel experence i wish i had of just went straight to the mini titan and the spectrum dx7. The choppers with the better equipment would sure make you a happyer camper and probaly cheaper in the long run.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Kaelan

if you dont want to buy a radio, gyro and the rest of teh electronics.. you can get the belt-cp as suggested and upgrade to a HH gyro.. OR take a look at the Black hawk 450 http://www.ka-planes.com/inc/sdetail/1344 that has a HH gyro.. or the Black hawk 450SE http://www.ka-planes.com/inc/sdetail/1327 RTF with all the metal upgrades.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Skarn

Don't forget the Blade 400....everything including a decent radio. The gyro isn't great and the servo's aren't either, but for the price it's not a bad option.

Skarn
Old 03-15-2008, 09:14 AM
rcbirk21
My Feedback: (4)

Blade 400. Its around $470 RTF, comes wtih spektrum dx6i, and decent electronics. Obviously nothing extravagent, but for what you want to do, it would be perfect. If you have a larger budget, look at the trex 600. You can probably find a kit somewhere for pretty cheap. But the blade 400 is ALOT cheaper.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:02 AM
BLBncsu

I was thinking about the Blade 400 as an option. I'm not against putting a kit together or buying my own parts, just looking to keep it probably under $400 (going to need ebay and used stuff probably) to make that happen. Still open for suggestions and help.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:32 PM
choppersrule

BlBncsu,

Jags has the HBK2 for either 189 or 209 bucks, with brushless motor and esc installed.
BP Hobbies has the Belt-Cp for 200 bucks (currently out of stock)

Both are RTF's with standard TX's, with the money save on a $400 dollar bird, you have the monies left for upgrades or save for a programmable radio.

http://jaghobbies.com/rc_planes/ek1h-e016a_cart.htm

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...8&pid=B3685250

Just my nickel,
Dave / Choppersrule

ORIGINAL: BLBncsu

I was thinking about the Blade 400 as an option. I'm not against putting a kit together or buying my own parts, just looking to keep it probably under $400 (going to need ebay and used stuff probably) to make that happen. Still open for suggestions and help.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:15 PM
cactus hopper

Look at the EXI, it's the only heli I've gotten that didn't arrive with some kind of "issue" that had to be fixed before I could fly it.