Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Foam Wing Panel, get the warp out ?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Foam Wing Panel, get the warp out ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:42 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Foam Wing Panel, get the warp out ?

I am not asking about the latest foamie stuff. I used to have this knowledge, not anymore. I am building another Phoenix, foam cores are old, very old, I doubt this is the reason for the warp, usually it is done in the cutting stage.

Looking down the LE, just a very slight curve. I may be able to bend this, secure a TE, and it may come out, hopefully the full panel.
I am going to wrap the LE's with the skin's. Any comment's appreciated, I will give it a go or buy new from Eureka if no one has done this. Attached is my usual work.

Crank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32291.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1271254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81078.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1271255  
Old 09-08-2009, 05:06 PM
crashlander
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Foam Wing Panel, get the warp out ?

Hey Crank:
I doubt that there is sufficient material to sand it out, therefore, your best bet is to get new foam cores.
The reason is the schuck the wing will sit in has also the curvature cut in. Thereby, you'll never remove the warp or curve.
On other alternative is to put a pice of 1/32 ply vertical at the TE of the wing, make sure it is straight. But again, the sachiuck the wing will sit into has to be relieved of the curvature.
That is why I say to get new cores.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:44 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Foam Wing Panel, get the warp out ?

Sent you a PM.