Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Lanier Mariner 40 ARF , what do you think?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Lanier Mariner 40 ARF , what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 11:17 PM
Norm Nestie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier Mariner 40 ARF , what do you think?

A friend is thinking of getting a Lanier Mariner 40 Arf. and I told hime I would see if I can get any impressions, or advice on this plane. Hope someone can help.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:52 PM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

Default RE: Lanier Mariner 40 ARF , what do you think?

People love them, I had one and got rid of it. Shoddy workmanship....warped fuse....cheesy pylon setup. IMHO.......cannot go wrong with the seamaster a little less cash and a proven winner. I have flown a couple and seen many fly...nice plane. Sea Monster looks nice also it is a bit bigger, 60 class and on sale for 150 dollars right now at hobby people
take care
Brian
Old 02-24-2005, 10:23 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with BigBri. You will also find plenty of info on the Mariner and all the others on the Seaplane forum.

Jim
Old 02-24-2005, 11:49 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did a Review of the Mariner for RCU Magazine, and I found it to be a very enjoyable seaplane which is still in my hangar and still being flown (when the lake isn't frozen)
Old 02-25-2005, 10:22 AM
magyarbacsi

I purchased a Mariner last year,and this was my first ever ARF in over 15 yrs. Initially I was impressed but the more I looked, the more the novelty wore off. I could see the wood grain showing under the covering. It should have been sanded smooth first, and the covering was loose on the fuse and I could never keep it tight. The wood in the wing was rather soft and uneven. I didn't know then what to expect from an ARF. ( I do now)

The Mariner is heavy and takes a lot of distance with full up to get it off the water. I could never get mine to trim out and constantly had to fly it. I set the trim and the next flight I had to re trim. After four frustrating flights and twice snapping the engine pod off ( stalled into the wind during landing just 4' above the water made a not so smooth landing), I gave up. The wing was damaged when the pod broke but was minor. I dug into the wing a little deeper to look for solid wood to tie into and found the entire interior soft spongy wood.

When I wrote to the Co. they advised me that the kits come from different areas and quality of the kits are not the same. They did offer to replace the wing for free, but by then my frustration was greatly satisfied by making tooth picks out of the plane.

Got a Seamaster and after 20 flights now, have enjoyed every minute of it. I may have been one of the few who got a bad kit from Lanier and this may be true with the Seamaster also. From what I read, and experienced, The Master flies better, more aerobatic and less expensive. An OS 46 fx powers mine.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:11 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

My opinion varies greatly. I love my Mariner with a 61fx up top. The fiberglass nose is great and keeps it water tight. I had a Seamaster and hated it, the tail set-up is weak and the nose gear hole lets water into the fuse. My Mariner takes off in short length and flys great. Loops, Rolls, even Snaps. Add some reinforcing to the pylon, give it more power than reccommended and you will love it. Flies great off the snow also.

R/C Foolish
Old 02-25-2005, 11:46 AM
magyarbacsi

Hey Foolish, you're right about the tail section and that is why you'll see most Seamaster with reinforced tail sections with wing struts. An easy cure. I have not installed the wheels as I fly strictly off water so I dont have holes in the fuse, and after sealing the saddles as recommended, I have yet to get even a drop inside.

I gave the Mariner an ample chance to prove itself and perhaps my flying ability was lacking, as I've just returned to flying after over 5 yrs. I could not keep the Mariner in the air long enough to enjoy it. I would take off, fight to keep it flying straight and level, make several passes than land. Re adjust the control surfaces, check incidence and balance and try again. In Wa, three strikes and you're out (actually a lifer and in) I gave it an extra shot.