Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

How to land a plane when it loses a wing?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

How to land a plane when it loses a wing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:10 AM
GrrlsFly!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to land a plane when it loses a wing?

I just watched the video in the Giant Scale forum of the "Full scale" landing of a plane that lost its right wing mid-flight. I didn't know it was a fake until I read the thread, however, not being well versed in aerodynamics of flight.

But I watched another video of someone landing their giant scale after it had lost a wing mid-flight, so apparently it is possible, if not with full scale, at least with a model.

So, how do you land the plane if you lose the wing mid-flight?

I know it may be difficult to describe, but thanks to anyone who tries! [sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Old 11-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to land a plane when it loses a wing?

Go to knife edge flight, and land as straight ahead as you, rolling towards wing level if you can.
That's if the roll rate from the unbalance can be stopped.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:18 AM
rwright142

Here's a video of a full scale F-15 that landed with only 1 wing. A testament to the plane and the pilot!
[link=http://www.truveo.com/F15-flying-with-one-wing-by-an-Israeli-Pilot/id/1362490168]F-15 flying with one wing by an Israeli Pilot[/link]
Old 11-04-2008, 10:55 AM
wjvail
My Feedback: (3)

On my last deployment with the Navy, we had two F/A-18's in formation meet head to head with two F-14. One of the F-18's hit one of the F/A-14 removing the wing of the F/A-18 at the wing fold and the F-14 lost its wing at the wing sweep. Both airplanes continued to fly and both headed for shore based divert fields. The F/A-18 landed safely. The F-14 might have landed but because it would only fly with one engine in full burner (and the other at idle) and because it was losing huge amounts of fuel from the missing wing, it eventually flamed out due to fuel starvation about 10 miles short of the runway.

Back to your question... The short answer is, and as other pointed out, you have to remove the remaining wing as a source of lift. If the remaining wing is producing lift, it will be asymmetric lift resulting in impossible to control roll. The most obvious solution is to make the remaining wing a big rudder and use the fuselage and engine thrust as the source of lift... i.e. knife edge. If you can fly sustained knife edge with two wings, it is not as difficult as it might first appear. The tricky part is, at some point you have to make the wheels touch first and it takes a well timed roll to sort of a flop landing. No flair! I have spent hours on RealFlight flying this way. First knock off a wing on the windsock, then giver 'er some gas and it will naturally roll into a knife edge at rotation. You just have to be ready with some rudder.

Bill
Old 11-04-2008, 11:01 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

First let me say that saving a plane that has lost one of its wings can only be done when two elements are present:

1) When the plane is 3-D capable
and
2) when the pilot is VERY good

This reminds me of a question that was posted back when RCU was in its infancy. A young man was taking lessons and was on a Buddy Box when his wing fell off (High-wing trainer, entire wing flew off). He was totally outraged by the fact that his instructor did NOTHING to save his trainer from total destruction.

Feeling rather irate at his instructors seemingly total lack of regard for his airplane, he posed the question, "Just so I know what to do the next time it happens, what is the proper thing to do when your wing falls off?"

My reply was, "The best thing to do is to lower your transmitter. This will get the antenna out of your field of view, because there is about to be a spectacular crash, and you don't want to miss a minute of it."

Old 11-04-2008, 11:24 AM
wjvail
My Feedback: (3)

This reminds me of a question that was posted back when RCU was in its infancy. A young man was taking lessons and was on a Buddy Box when his wing fell off (High-wing trainer, entire wing flew off). He was totally outraged by the fact that his instructor did NOTHING to save his trainer from total destruction.

Feeling rather irate at his instructors seemingly total lack of regard for his airplane, he posed the question, "Just so I know what to do the next time it happens, what is the proper thing to do when your wing falls off?"

My reply was, "The best thing to do is to lower your transmitter. This will get the antenna out of your field of view, because there is about to be a spectacular crash, and you don't want to miss a minute of it."
Fantastic!!!

Another story....

30 years ago I and my younger brother were flying a trainer I had scratch built from RCM plans (a BD-5 if I remember correctly). I could fly well enough to take off and land and my brother could only fly at altitude. On this particular day I took off and gave the TX to my brother to fly some (no buddy cords then (a Kraft 76 series radio)). While he was flying I turned around to collect my starting battery and glove and generally tidy up. All-of-a-sudden I hear my bother shouting BILL BILL BILL!!!! I turned around and looked up to see the plane, 90 degrees nose down, still under power, spiraling down with one of the wings flitting off over the horizon. As I am looking up in shock and horror, wondering what to do, my bother knocked the wind out of me ramming the transmitter back into my stomach! Now not only shocked and horrified but also winded, I grabbed the transmitter and actually frantically wiggled the sticks before the reality of our situation came to me! Moments before it hit the trees, I closed the throttle... and then an ear shattering crunch.... and then ear shattering silence... and then me asking my brother "what the hell you give me the transmitter for?"

We still laugh about it today. As they say, "You never know when you are going to make a memory".

Cheers,

Bill
Old 11-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: wjvail
We still laugh about it today. As they say, "You never know when you are going to make a memory".

Cheers,

Bill
When I was doing my initial full scale night flying the instructor posed this bit of wisdom to me. "If you lose your engine, pick out the largest dark area you see, and hope it's an open field and not a stand of trees. When you get down to about 200' AGL, turn on your landing light. If you don't like what you see, turn it back off again."

Old 11-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Weasel Keeper
My Feedback: (16)

Like [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOBB_-gZFNo]this[/link] maybe?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:56 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like this maybe?
I was looking for that clip myself. It can be done
Old 11-05-2008, 07:50 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

First let me say that saving a plane that has lost one of its wings can only be done when two elements are present:

1) When the plane is 3-D capable
and
2) when the pilot is VERY good

I once watched as a wing came off a friends airplane, making a beautiful fullpower arc into the ground. What else can you do?

Something you could try to do is to increase the throttle to full power and stuff the stick into the corner to get it into a flat spin. The centrifugal force of the spin and the power may actually force the tail into a somewhat level position, slowing the fall. It was reported a few years back that someone actually did this and recovered the airplane to fly again. However, I do not recommend that you try to prove this theory!
Old 11-05-2008, 12:11 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Many years ago I lost the wing off of a Super Sporster 60. It peeled off in straight and level flight. You first reastion is to try and control it. After a moment of that you realize it's gone. I pulled the power back and gave full elev and rudder. I thought this might slow it down a little. Maybe it did a little but it still hit a ton. The wing just rolled fore over aft all the way down. Didn't put a scratch on it. The fuse had to be rebuilt from the aft stringers forward.

David
Old 11-05-2008, 02:41 PM
WCB

"How far will this plane fly with half a wing?".......

"All the way to the crash site."
Old 03-04-2009, 08:25 PM
build light

Landing it?
No biggie!
If you lose an entire wing panel it's gonna land...!
Landing the plane safely is another can of worms!

Quote by MinnFlyer:
"1) When the plane is 3-D capable
and
2) when the pilot is VERY good"

True but I think it also may depend on which wing panel you lose. Seems engine torque (also a big deal in 3D flying) would play a part as well. If you lose the 'wrong' wing panel, the engine torque would fight you in addition to the other variables.

Robert
Old 03-05-2009, 03:31 AM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

That video is a known fake.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:53 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: GrrlsFly!

I just watched the video in the Giant Scale forum of the "Full scale" landing of a plane that lost its right wing mid-flight. I didn't know it was a fake until I read the thread, however, not being well versed in aerodynamics of flight.

But I watched another video of someone landing their giant scale after it had lost a wing mid-flight, so apparently it is possible, if not with full scale, at least with a model.

So, how do you land the plane if you lose the wing mid-flight?

I know it may be difficult to describe, but thanks to anyone who tries! [sm=teeth_smile.gif]

A fake? Shoot. A sucker is born every minute and I guess I am one.

Bill
Old 03-05-2009, 04:02 AM
Rudolph Hart

Yes me too till someone at the club said bs watch it again.Top quote bob mitchell i loved it
Old 03-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Tall Paul

ORIGINAL: phatbob02

That video is a known fake.
This one is real.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RMqD...eature=related
As is this one..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOBB_-gZFNo
Old 03-11-2009, 04:26 PM
frenchie79

Hand the Radio to your buddy, tell him something flew in your eye.