Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

HPI .25 engine - how do you like it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 02:29 PM
waverave
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI .25 engine - how do you like it?

I was hoping anyone that has used other engines in their savage could give me a brief statement on how you like the HPI .25 in comparison?
I've used a the stock .21, Hyper 8-port and the picco .26 in my savage and so far I liked the 8-port the best for all-around reliability and performance. I am looking for other options because I haven't been pleased with the carb on the picco .26 and it just doesn't hold it's tune (the power is massive though).
It would be nice if the new .25 was worthy because they are fairly cheap, easy to find and pullstart.
How is the torque? How is the top speed? How well does it hold it's tune? How was break-in? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:15 PM
cyclejerk

Default RE: HPI .25 engine - how do you like it?

so far so good. I have one that i got for x-mas. It is very easy to adjust/tune and runs consistant. no downside yet. mucho power too
Old 01-15-2004, 07:05 PM
TheMachine

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my experience i have found that somthing like a MT(Savage) with a 2 speed needs some good RPM to really perform, and in that case the 8 port is the weapon of choice. I have run a .25, an 8 port and a 24.7 and like I said... RPM is king.

The .25 is nice and all, but I think the 8 port out-shines it. I`m currently working on a .25 in a an effort to gain RPM.... once i make the .25 rev harder than the 8 port it should be good, we`ll see.

TM
Old 01-15-2004, 09:29 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Its a decent engine and I wouldn't waste my money replacing it with something more powerful until wears out. The engine has decent power, is extremely easy to start, is easy to tune, and is very reliable. I haven't had the engine die on me yet and I use airplane fuel which many claim doesn't perform well in car engines. I'm very happy with it. Ask me in several years what I will replace it with if it ever does wear out.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:08 AM
waverave

Thanks for the comments. Actually I think I'm gonna give this one a try.
The Werks modified P3 picco 26. Supposedly has 2.9HP...that's quite a punch!

http://werksracing.com/product.do?sku=WRXP3M26PS

Old 01-16-2004, 09:40 AM
cyclejerk

that looks sweat, let us know how it does after break-in. 40% more displacement than standard, damm. I want one.[8D]
Old 01-16-2004, 09:57 AM
TheMachine

Looks like a monster wheelie engine....but with only 33K RPM your gonna be stretched on top end !.... but then again it is a Picco and they are usually aggresively timed, and RPM numbers have been wrong/not true to life before !
Old 01-16-2004, 10:09 AM
smitty70
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Homebrewer, what airplane fuel are you useing, I tried Morgan's Omega 15% and if I lean it out enough to get it to not bog it would run over 300 deg. What is your experience?
ORIGINAL: Homebrewer

Its a decent engine and I wouldn't waste my money replacing it with something more powerful until wears out. The engine has decent power, is extremely easy to start, is easy to tune, and is very reliable. I haven't had the engine die on me yet and I use airplane fuel which many claim doesn't perform well in car engines. I'm very happy with it. Ask me in several years what I will replace it with if it ever does wear out.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:14 PM
waverave

ORIGINAL: TheMachine

Looks like a monster wheelie engine....but with only 33K RPM your gonna be stretched on top end !.... but then again it is a Picco and they are usually aggresively timed, and RPM numbers have been wrong/not true to life before !
My savage is geared fairly low to compensate for the wheelies and top end. It still flips over backwards. I ended up toning down my throttle via the JR radio I use. It's the only way to keep it from flipping all the time. Aside from that, it's the torque I want to get up hills and over jumps and obstacles. I'm not so concerned with top speed runs.
I can't wait to break this thing in and take it for a run!
Old 01-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

I've used Omega 15% and it worked fine. However, don't expect the same level of performance you'd get with less oil (car fuel). Using airplane fuel requires a hotter plug and changes to your low end and high end needle settings.

Use an OS 3 or OS 8 plug (OS 3 for smaller engines and OS 8 for .21 and larger).

Right now, my preferred mix it mixing Omega 15% half and half with Coolpower 30%. Works great!
Old 01-23-2004, 10:54 PM
In2JeepN

I liked my XTM 24.7 better than my buddies H8 port, but they were both in TMaxx's....both started EXTREMELY easily (like first or second pulls) and very consistent. Guess it depends on what you want tho, cuz the 24.7 has more torque, and the H8 has more HP. We run on a small dirt track alot, not much high speed stuff, which is where the 24.7 really shines. I haven't tried anything other than the .25 in the Savage yet, but I am dying to get that 24.7 in there