Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Battery Discharge Rating?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 09:19 PM
fishingkittyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Discharge Rating?

Can someone tell me how I can tell the discharge rating on a battery if the sticker on it says that the Max c discharge is 49.5 amps. It is a 11.1v 3s 3300 Mah MaxAmps battery, any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:38 PM
jdetray

Default RE: Battery Discharge Rating?

The phrase "Max c discharge" doesn't mean anything. I think they are trying to say that the max discharge rate is 49.5A.

That makes sense. I think what you probably have is a 3300 mAh 15C battery.
3300 x 15 = 49500 mA = 49.5A.

In many cases, battery makers overstate the "C" rating and therefore the maximum discharge rate. People who know a lot more about this subject than me suggest discounting the advertised "C" rating by perhaps 20% to be safe.

- Jeff
Old 11-22-2008, 07:44 AM
fishingkittyman

Thank you, I believe you are correct because someone else told the same thing. They gave me a formula that looks like this 49.5 amps = 49,500 mah divided by 3300 mah = 15, thus being 15c.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:55 AM
cyclops2

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Believe NOTHING in the battery selling world.
I & others have run tests on charging & discharging batteries & most ratings WILL destroy the battery way before you get ANY number of full power cycles.

I did 1 cycle of a set of batteries @ 10 C . Battery dropped voltage in 40 seconds from 3.2 V to 2.1 V and NEVER charged up to even 2.8 volts again.

Pure, bull crap, to sell the batteries. They did return my money when I sent the test result data back with the batteries.

The batteries were rated to do 20 C.

Rich