Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

CA Spill

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 08:18 AM
lslewis
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA Spill

I spilled CA on my new Monokote, top side right where everyone will see it. Is there anyway to clean it?
Old 01-24-2004, 09:19 AM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: CA Spill

acetone should remove it without ruining the surface of the monokote. ALso nitro-methane. acetone is easier to find (loews, home depot). also try fingernail polish remover. this used to be acetone, but newer formulations avoid acetone.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:54 AM
CafeenMan

DMcQuinn is right. Acetone and a little elbow grease. Pour plenty on a paper towel and keep it wet. You'll see it starting to come off. Just keep at it for a minute or so and it will be good as new. Acetone won't hurt your Monokote, but keep it away from the seams. In other words, don't pour acetone on your covering.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:15 AM
lslewis

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!

It is working. You and RCUniverse comes thru again! I really appreciate the help. I Came back into the hobby after 50 years earning a living and raising a family so my knowledge level is era 1950.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:44 AM
Patriot

I've been out of this hobby for 15 years myself. It is true that inthis hobby, you CAN teach an old dog plenty of new tricks.

Patriot
Old 01-24-2004, 12:50 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Acetone is surely a good method of CA remover. I've found that debonder works on some of the smaller spots. Of course I never drop CA on a new covering job. If you believe that let's talk about some bridges and land I have for sale.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:53 PM
ballgunner

P.S. If you have Monokote adhesive sneak out from where two colors are joined try some Ironex. I use it to clean my covering iron and it is also a thinner for Balsarite.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:38 PM
Azcat59

I don't think I have spilled CA on my Monokote. Yet. Shoes, pants, shirt, Yes. Glued myself to the inside of a fuselage which was nailed (yes, nailed) to my bench top. Had to squirm around to get at the phone, and have my neighbor come over and saw me out of it.....

Clair
Old 01-24-2004, 09:45 PM
jessiej

I once read of a fellow who spilled CA on the tile floor of his shop then stepped in it while barefoot. It was his wife's bridge night and he was stranded till she came home.

Had it been me I think I would have kept it a deep secret.

jess
Old 01-24-2004, 11:42 PM
Wingman357
My Feedback: (54)

Guys,

This is just another example of why the internet, and RCUniverserse, are so wonderful. I had to stop laughing long enough to wipe my eyes so I could write this! These forums provide so much information, insight, and fun. I often have my fingers stuck together after building, my dumb move (I have done this more than once) is to tip the "medium" CA bottle over to set a joint only to see a stream of "thin" CA shoot out all over the place! I thought I was smart using different color caps on these bottles, but the caps are off when I'm working... Well now you know why my fingers get stuck together.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:56 AM
lslewis

This is a reply to Wingman and every other pilot on this thread. I too have laughed and been more than pleased with the response(s) to my question. Thank You <again> However I am reminded of a story:

It was raining like crazy when little Johnnie asks his mother what is lightning. His mother replies, "ask you dad he is an engineer" Johnnie replies, "I didn't want to know that much about lightning!"
Old 01-25-2004, 09:45 PM
Balsa Master

correction, accetone WILL eat plastics i.e. monokote, econokote, ect. some plastics usualy harder ones are affected less. try dipping a styrefoam cup in pure accetone and watch the fireworks. but if you dont let it sit there for ages it wont hurt your coverin. however ive had it eat paint and it messes up uncured epoxy and will clean up dried epoxy, meaning that if you wipe it over a fiberglassed win long enough it will dislove all the epoxy. all this takes a long time though with pure acceton.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:19 AM
kdheath

I did the same, only the phone was out of reach. Left some skin in that Ugly Stik....An acquaintance (who shall remain nameless) was working without a shirt on. He spilled some CA, leaned over the bench and firmly glued his ample belly to the table. Another one managed to glue his a** firmly to a chair.
ORIGINAL: Azcat59

Glued myself to the inside of a fuselage which was nailed (yes, nailed) to my bench top. Had to squirm around to get at the phone, and have my neighbor come over and saw me out of it.....

Clair
Old 01-26-2004, 09:39 AM
FletchNJ

I have a sign in my shop that reads:

"WARNING! WAIT AT LEAST 10 MINUTES AFTER
USING CA BEFORE GOING TO THE BATHROOM"

Old 01-26-2004, 10:12 AM
Carolina Raptor

ORIGINAL: FletchNJ

I have a sign in my shop that reads:

"WARNING! WAIT AT LEAST 10 MINUTES AFTER
USING CA BEFORE GOING TO THE BATHROOM"

or blowing your nose...

Another thing I have heard, I suppose someone has done it, don't pull the cap off with your teeth..
Old 01-26-2004, 12:37 PM
tommy157

I used thin CA to attach canopy and when it dried I now have a milky film on the inside guess it was the fumes..any suggestion on removing short of removing canopy...
Old 01-26-2004, 12:40 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: tommy157

I used thin CA to attach canopy and when it dried I now have a milky film on the inside guess it was the fumes..any suggestion on removing short of removing canopy...
The only way to remove it is to be able to get at it. Maybe you can cut a hole in the fuselage under the canopy and get to it that way? Then make the hole a nice shape and put a pilot in it.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:16 PM
tommy157

Not a bad idea I could use a long QTip soaked in acetone push it up through a hole and maybe clean off most of it..,

Thanks,
Old 02-24-2004, 07:51 AM
Jim Finn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wingman...............To avoid tipping over the CA bottle I just glue a 3" square piece of plywood to the bottom of the bottle. Won't tip then.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:39 PM
hookedonrc

I am not sure how you would have kept it a secret. I think my wife would notice a chunk of tile stuck to my foot as I walked around the house....lol
Old 02-24-2004, 03:49 PM
pmw

I know this thread is about CA, but let me give a little advice about acetone and other such chemicals. Fire hazard is obvious. Not so obvious is the damage to your hands and fingers. Acetone, etc. will draw the oils from your skin and nasty skin splits will show up a day or two after use. I always use gloves and have found that the typical paint protection type of latex gloves will dissolve in short order from the acetone. I use chemical gloves religiously. If you don't, you'll have sore finger tips for days. Be careful and use eye prtection in caes of the inevetable spill.

Paul
Old 03-02-2004, 11:32 AM
cjtyped

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being an old bachelor, I have worked on my planes with nothing on for clothing but shorts or less. CA. Need i say any more? sigh.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:06 PM
rsallen13

Please don't! Some of the visualizations caused by this thread are bad enough.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Jim Oliver

Hi tommy157,
Acetone will damage your canopy worse than the CA fog! Use a Q-tip with a little WD 40 to remove the CA fog without damage to the canopy. Also, a lite coat of WD 40 before glueing a canopy with CA will prevent the fog. Don't apply the WD 40 where you want to glue, however.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:33 PM
DaveGell

I always open a bottle of debonder before starting to use CA. It is very difficult to open the debonder with one hand (the other being glued inside the model, to my forehead - don't laugh-, or to the bench)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.