Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

GP J-3 ARF strut to wing attachment

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

GP J-3 ARF strut to wing attachment

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 04:27 PM
qcrcbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP J-3 ARF strut to wing attachment

Folks, It looks like a flimsy set-up, ie. the directions for attaching the struts to the wings on the above Cub. Does anyone have a better idea? I'm looking for strength and durability. I was thinking of cutting a small plate of ply, countersinking it on the bottom for a blind nut, epoxying in the nut then epoxying the whole thing to the area on the wing. If the epox. goops up the threads, no sweat, simply run a suitable tap through it. I'll probably use a #4 socket head bolt into a #4 blind nut. Thanks Bill
Old 03-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Jimmbbo

Default RE: GP J-3 ARF strut to wing attachment

Yep - the strut attach points need some beefing up if you are gonna attach and remove each day's flying...

I did much the same thing using a #6 thread insert in the existing pads, attaching it with nylon screws that will hopefully shear off , "just in case"...

On another thread, someone also replaced the existing plastic attach tabs with coke bottle plastic - said it was a bit more durable... Think either that or some thin soft aluminum sheet might work...

Cheers!

Jim
Old 03-08-2004, 11:26 PM
qcrcbill

Are the attach pads on the wing thick enough to accept a threaded insert? Sounds like a good idea, and if they're thick enough to thread the inserts in, that's how I'll do it! Thanks. Bill
Old 03-10-2004, 06:46 PM
SkyDude

There are a couple of threads on this exact subject in the ARF section. Do a search on "GP CUB J-3" and you should be able to find them.

The two most popular mods are using pieces from a 2 liter coke bottle and making brass connectors, both which replace the CA hinges. I'm going to try the coke bottle fix when I get around to fixing my strut connections. I've gone through two full sets of CA hinges and won't use them again for this application.

Too bad GP put such weak links on an otherwise nice plane.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Jimmbbo

ORIGINAL: qcrcbill

Are the attach pads on the wing thick enough to accept a threaded insert? Sounds like a good idea, and if they're thick enough to thread the inserts in, that's how I'll do it! Thanks. Bill
On my GP J3 the strut pads on the wing appear to be hardwood or hard plywood about 1/8 inch thick - I would prefer to see them be 3/16 or 1/4 inch thick, but they have accepted the inserts OK - epoxied them in place, so we'll see (camera's in Las Vegas so can't post pics ) - To get more thickness, you could remove the covering over the pad and glue a 1/16 ply doubler on the wing bottom surface over the pad, then install the inserts ... My thinking is that the #6 nylon screws I use to attach the struts will be the weak link, and believe the inserts as installed are up to the task... Of course, there is more than one way to prang an airplane and rip a screw from a hole.... In any event, they are better than the sheet metal screw as originally designed -

The best solution would be to install a T nut behind the pad with a T nut, but haven't figured out how to do that without cutting open the covering on a rib bay

Cheers!

Jim
Old 03-10-2004, 11:47 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I have the Cub ARF and I never had an issue with the strut attachment but then again I always left them attached to the wing. It's the CA hinge material that will need to be replaced, Mine broke after the 3rd flight.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:58 PM
qcrcbill

ok thnx I'll make that modification. What fuel tank do you all use? I'm going to use a 3 line system, probably about 10-12 oz. The supplied tank isn't very good. Thank you. Bill
Old 03-11-2004, 08:57 AM
cstevenpeterson
My Feedback: (21)

I replaced the tank with a Dubro 10 oz tank and added a "holder" along with a screw in bracket to hold the padded tank assembly in the front of the fuselage. I do not like installing tanks by "press fitting" with a lot of foam.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:01 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's how I attach mine. Mount them to the wing with hinges (Add whatecer you need inside the wing to mount hinges to).

This way, when you're done, you just disconnect from the fuse, and fold them up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80948.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	110296