Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

off topic, but spray painting

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

off topic, but spray painting

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 10:29 AM
bbmass
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default off topic, but spray painting

You guys seem to know a lot about spray painting. I'm painting my kitchen cabinets with a compressor and inexpensive ($50) spray gun, canister on the bottom. It seems to paint well with the spray pattern at its narrowest. If I open it up there isn't enough paint coming out to match the patern, even after opening the paint flow control. I'm using a 2 hp, 6 gal compressor, which is a little small, but seems to be working. Do I need more air pressure? Thin the paint more, I haven't thinned it that much. I'm using BM oil based satin paint. Where I have painted using a small pattern the paint is smooth, where I was painting a larger surface, the side of the cabinent, the paint is rough, which I think means I didn't get enough paint down. I'm planning on doing what I hope is the last coat this weekend and don't want to have to do another coat.

thanks
Old 03-10-2004, 01:14 PM
foxx

Default RE: off topic, but spray painting

There are few areas that might cause you problem, basically if you don't have enough paint flowing combined with too much air pressure, then some of the paint particles would dry on the way from the gun to the work surface. This would give you a rough surface. Your options are to thin the paint , reduce the pressure or increase the size of the gun spray orifice.I would go with thinning the paint Happy painting
Old 03-10-2004, 01:47 PM
DMyer

So I am not the only one to spray paint the Kitchen cabinets with my modeling equipment? I used a HVLP gun with a 20 OZ gravity feed cup. I thinned it about 25-30% (Sherwin Williams Pro Classic Latex) until it sprayed a nice pattern at the pressure (15 LBS) and volume I wanted. I also added a bit of Japan drier. My 30+ year old cabinets(with new doors) came out looking like a new kitchen at a fraction of the cost. I do this stuff regularly for the wife so I can justify even more tools I can use in my hobby! Good luck!
Old 03-11-2004, 10:30 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what size your $50 spray gun is, but I used an automotive size (1qt pot), and sprayed all of my cabinets with no problem. Just do it like you would an automobile.

I was probably using between 30 and 35 psi.

Les
Old 03-11-2004, 10:52 AM
CafeenMan

What is Japan Dryer exactly? I keep seeing that people add it to paint for their wood working projects. Does it speed up the drying time or slow it down or do something else altogether?

- Paul
Old 03-12-2004, 10:35 AM
Stew99

You need to look at the flow rate required by the gun vs what your compressor can deliver. I have had this problem where the compressor I had was too small for the gun I was using.