Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

help please on gp cub 40

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

help please on gp cub 40

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 04:34 PM
iflyrc0288

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please on gp cub 40

Ok first i have a questiion on what size hinge points i should use? Second, is what size hole i drill in the wood to get a nice tight fit? And last, I have always had trouble on beveling my control surfaces, and i was wondering if you guys have any good tips that might be able to help me? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:53 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: help please on gp cub 40

Use the standard size Robart hinges. The directions should tell you the best size drill bit to use...practice on a wood block first to check if you're not sure.

Draw a line down the centerline of the leading edge of the aileron, then sand (or use a razor plane) a 45 degree bevel on one side that runs up to the line, turn the aileron over and sand another 45 on the other side up to the line.

Don
Old 03-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Jimmbbo

ORIGINAL: iflyrc0288

Ok first i have a questiion on what size hinge points i should use? Second, is what size hole i drill in the wood to get a nice tight fit? And last, I have always had trouble on beveling my control surfaces, and i was wondering if you guys have any good tips that might be able to help me? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Suggest using Gorilla Glue on the hinge points - it expands as it cures... wing will break out before hinge points do... (also would put a drop of oil on the hinge pin to keep it free) - do a hinge point search and you will find a lot of info...

To bevel the control surfaces, I draw a line down the center of the hinge line, and also on the upper and lower control surfaces, (parallel to the surface's leading edge) to ensure you take the right amount of material off (ask me how I learned that one).

Cheers!

Jim
Old 03-10-2004, 06:21 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's tough to draw a line down the center, so I have an easy way:

Lay the control surface on a flat surface. Then lay a Ball Point Pen along side it The tip of the pen should come near the center of the control surface, but it doesn't have to be exact. Slide the surface along the tip of the pen (it's easier to hold the pen steady that way) The line will NOT be in the center, but close. Now, Flip the control surface over and do it again.

This will result in two lines that are centered. Drill or cut for the hinges between the lines. Now, lay the control surface near the edge of the table, hold your sanding bar at the desired angle and sand until you reach the top line, flip it over and repeat.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62918.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	110056  
Old 03-10-2004, 06:49 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

I just went through this a couple of days ago. After testing gorilla glue and getting help from people on this site I decided to use 30 minute epoxy on my robart hinges. If you decide to use gorilla glue test it first. It foams like mad. I tested it on 15 crummy GP hing points and it was a challenge to keep it from foaming all over the hinge. My epoxied hinges aren't coming out and it was easy to control how much glue to use. I use a stock dremel metal grinder that is conical in shape to inlet my holes. It doesn't fit perfect but short of a specialized tool it works ok. Use a pin vise and the robart hinge jig for hole drilling unless you have a drill press and can pre-drill your surfaces.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:41 PM
iflyrc0288

Thank you guys so much. I have one other question, I want that nice fabric covered finish and was wondering what the best material would be for me to get it?
Old 03-11-2004, 12:03 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I really like 21st Century Fabric. It goes on very well, and it's already painted.