Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

How to make Monokote Hinges

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

How to make Monokote Hinges

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 08:56 AM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make Monokote Hinges

This is a question that comes up from time to time. I don't use film hinges very often, but when I do I've had no problems with them other than needing to replace them every couple years because they start peeling up at the corners. But I've never had them fail or tear.

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...nges/index.htm

If anything isn't clear please let me know.

- Paul
Old 03-11-2004, 09:04 AM
Kenny R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to make Monokote Hinges

Nice write-up CafeenMan! I use "monocote hinges" on all my 3d profiles for the ailerons because I use foam wings and cant use CA hinges. They work great and I have never had one to fail.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:34 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: How to make Monokote Hinges

There are several ways to make good hinges. I like the interleaved type such as described and pictured by Swooper at http://www.flightlines.com/forum/For...ML/000053.html
I use them on all my planes except where scale detail is important. My oldest plane, a Phaeton 90 with a Quadra 72 has held up well for more than 12 years and literlly 100's if not 1000's of flights. This one used Solartex rather than Monocote but I've used both with equal success.