Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

tail traps

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 09:59 AM
Sprocket1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tail traps

This may be a completely foolish question, but I have not seen the term "tail trap" used but once on RCU. Are tail traps commonly used or did I misinterpert the meaning of the word?
Old 03-13-2004, 10:37 AM
Intruder38

Default RE: tail traps

Hi Sprocket,

Tail traps, Stooges, Holdbacks; different terms for the same function. Extremely common in my neck of the woods, and I would guess everywhere else RC is in vogue. Simply put, some type of restraint to hold back your plane when you run up the engine in the pit. Sort of keeps the prop out of your pants, if you know what I mean. I've seen a wide range of types, from a big screwdriver stuck in the ground with a rope tied around the rear fuselage to fairly elaborate, collapsible affairs. Whatever the type, in my opiniion, a real safety necessity.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought human beings were born with a set of tail traps.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:40 PM
DaveGell

ORIGINAL: Kmot

I thought human beings were born with a set of tail traps.
Unfortunately, those we're born with are easily damaged by spinning props. [&o]

A mechanical system is better and can be pretty cheap. I use some pvc pipe with wood plugs at each end. The plugs support a spike of 1/4 inch music wire which runs up the center of the pvc and extends about a foot beyond. It's wrapped with some pipe insulation. To use, I stick them in the ground so that the fuse fits between them and put the leading edge of the horizontal stab agains them. I have run up .60 two-stroke powered planes to full throttle without problems. Mostly they're used to keep the plane in place during starting and until I've gotten around back of the prop to set the needle valve.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:03 PM
smokingcrater

I just built two of them this afternoon from some pvc and pipe insulation. (about $10 in parts...) just a U shape with two removable uprights, and a spike into the ground at the apex of the U. works great, cheap, and safe.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:01 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always use a tail trap at the field except that I hold the wings back instead of the horiz stab, which is a weaker structure. Maybe I should call mine a wing trap LOL ! http://www.midwestproducts.com/aero_mate.htm
Old 03-14-2004, 10:26 AM
Intruder38

Kmot,

I stand corrected. I should have added the human element. Provided a friend is handy, the human tail trap may, in fact, be the most reliable (assuming communication between pilot and "Trap" is established and fuel residue doesn't make the snarling beast too much of a handful). But if everybody else is busy at their own tasks, holding back your plane can prove a problem. At last count, I had to manage a transmitter, a starter (manual or electric), and the plane. Yes, it can be done and I'm sure most of us have done it at least once, but I've yet to find a way to handle those elements when I'm trying to range check the radio with the engine running (to seek out any vibration effects) or tweak the engine (high or low speed carb settings). Think about the mechanical tail traps as a low cost insurance policy when your working your plane alone.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:48 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol, Intruder! I always just stood over the plane with my two legs holding the tail and ran er' up. Did range checking without the engine running and never had a problem....either the range was a go or not.

I'm not discounting the Tail Trap, I was just making a joke.