Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Idiot needs major help with Savage Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 04:14 PM
fayball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idiot needs major help with Savage Engine

I hope somebody can help me. I receveived my new Savage X yesterday. I ordered it last week and spent all of this week looking through threads about the Savage X. I decided to seal my engine - Very Bad Idea (for me). It was going well, I had removed the rotostart and was on my last hex on the back plate when I rushed it and rounded it out. I decided not to go any further and put the rotostart back on and refitted the engine.

I then followed Thunderbirdjunkies advdice http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4315363/tm.htm (should have only done this in the first place) and setup gear mesh, applied threadlock to screws and a new tie strap to air filter. I went to start up the engine and it wouldnt. I noticed the clutch bell wasnt spinning. I then took the engine off and inserted rotostarter to see if engine would spin - no joy. When I turn the crankshaft anti clock wise with my hand it clicks.

Have I screwed up my engine or is it fixable????

Thanks in advance for any help.
[&o]
Old 01-06-2007, 04:25 PM
JohnnyReptile

Default RE: Idiot needs major help with Savage Engine

it sounds like it should be fixable. In my opinion you shouldn't have tried to seal it unless you had a problem with an airleak. I would say that you need to probablly need to check out your oneway bearing. But you need to take off your roto start from the engine. I could also be wrong.

I have had mine off just today. I had to replace my oneway due to lack of maintianence on it. I never cleaned like you should. My Bad.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:27 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Based on the information you gave, I dont think you ruiend your engine at all. Other than the ruined hex screw on the roto back plate, you did'nt even open the engine (expect to possibly seal the carb to the engine crank case; but this is really not opening the engine). Nothing from this procedure damaged the engine; the ruined hex screw can be removed with pliers (just grip the knurled hex screw head with the pliers to unbolt it).

A milliard (that's a billion to you readers from America) of RC fans have ruined hex heads by stripping them round; I have ruined dozens in that manner myself. Stripped hex heads are no danger to the innards of your engine.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:37 PM
-SomeGuy-

The clicking sound is normal on this engine.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:10 PM
fayball

Johnny reptile was right. In my desperation I also posted this thread on savage central and was also told that my one way bearing was probably on the wrong way - it was. Im new to the RC world and was blown away by the help and response offered. I only posted 10 minutes ago.

Thanks Again
Old 01-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Revo Eater

Everyone likes to help and show off what they know. Most of the advice you get on here is good advice. However, I have heard some pretty messed up stuff also. WELCOME TO THE FORUM. And congratulations on buying the toughest MT on the market.