Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What to do about hinge slots??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What to do about hinge slots??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 04:28 AM
Krener

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do about hinge slots??

I know CA hinges are easy and good to use, but some tend to replace them with nylon hinges etc.

My question is, with most ARFs the CA hinge slot is cut WAY wider than the width of the CA hinge which would be fine if using CA as it will wick into the void and glue it up anyways, but when opening the slot up to accept nylon hinges and gluing them in, how critical is it to fill the widened areas with glue?

I've got a 1/2A ARF I've stripped and enlarged the surfaces on amongst other things, but the CA hinge slot is twice the width of the nylon hinge I intend to use.
Do you just squeeze as much epoxy or Pacer glue in as you can to fill the voids, or is it not that important.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:02 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: What to do about hinge slots??

It's not important.

You've epoxied a nylon plate into the slot. That acts as a bridge and will hold it all together.

It's sort of like this: If you were building a stab and only built the outer frame it would be flimsy. But if you build a few supports on each side, it's strong. The stab doesn't have to be solid wood as long as you have those supports acting as bridges to support the frame.

Same thing with the hinges.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:15 AM
Krener

That is good news.
Thanks for that Mike, muchly appreciated.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

When I cut slots I generally cut them a little wider than they need ot be. The gives a little working room when mating the two sides together. The extra width doesnt hurt at all. Also, gorilla glue is good for hinges because it will fill in any pen areas.