Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

SIG-Four-Star-40

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

SIG-Four-Star-40

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 04:37 PM
Hortco

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SIG-Four-Star-40

I customized my SIG Four Star 40 to look like a Super Sportster.
Ive never liked the generic boxy look of Four Stars but I do like how they fly.
I did more than just change the tail and wingtips-
I never liked the cockpit being so far back- it makes the front fuselage look way too long and I also never liked the angled back headrest. I moved the headrest forward about 2-1/2” and mounted it vertical.
I also never liked how square the top of the front fuselage looked and I don’t like the cheeks on the nose of the plane so I cut the top of the fuse off and made formers with more of a rounded shape and covered them with Balsa.
I cut those ugly cheeks off of the nose and built up a permanent cowl which greatly improves the look of this plane.
I rounded all of the edges of the rear bottom fuse to help eliminate the boxy look.
I put Ailerons on the are the same width all the way across as I never liked the stock tapered ones.
I put a different landing gear on it that makes it sit just a little higher like the Super Sportster has.
I did everything that I could to make it NOT look like a Four Star.
Power is a Saito 50.
I have acquired another Four Star 40 and I’m doing the same thing to it but it will have a 70 Four Stroke.
Needless to say I am very happy with the results!

The stock headrest is still there. I sanded some of it off to help reduce weight. The hew headrest is in-line with the rear of the wing opening.

I cut off the top of the fuse and rebuild it slightly higher and more rounded.

The new front fuselage formers.

The top of the fuse cut off with a utility knife.

SIG- Four-Star-40-SUPER-FOURSTAR.

SIG-four-Star-40-modified.

Sig-four-Star-40-customized.

SIG-Four-Star

Last edited by Hortco; 02-16-2020 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Added description and more pictures.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:48 PM
Mrotar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way to go Hortco! Great looking model. If you can, get a video of the maiden flight!
Old 02-17-2020, 04:47 PM
carlgrover

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Fantastic looking plane. Nothing like kit bashing.

carl