Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

don't want to sell me a Savage

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 05:30 PM
dolsen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default don't want to sell me a Savage

I called my local hobbie shop today to see if he would match towers price on a new Savage. He said I would be making a big mistake and tried to sell me anything other than the Savage. I am now in doubt if I should buy the Savage. He told me that he will stock them because the transmitions always break as do the drive shafts. This guy has been around for some time and races so I don't want to just write his opinion off as trash talk. He also said that the .25 was way under powered and that the Traxxas 2.5 will blow it away.I am looking for some input from others that have multiple trucks and will give hones feed back. I really want a Savage but don't want my but kicked by my brothers REVO.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:38 PM
proxpilot
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: don't want to sell me a Savage

the Revo is probably faster they are a smaller lighter truck.......... but the savage is by no means JUNK! im happy with mine it's by far the most durable truck i own (savage,Monster GT, Mammoth).
Old 05-17-2005, 05:48 PM
savageman90
My Feedback: (12)

yes, i never had problems with my savage, the only parts i broke was the gas tank 2 times, and 1 shock in 2 years, and say the .25 is under powered.. i can pull wheelies with mine
Old 05-17-2005, 05:54 PM
HPIracer4

ya i beat my truck............prolly worse then others, then again prolly less then others, but i havent run into too many problems with mine, mainly my error........i have the .21 so i cant pull wheelies but its still fun as hell
Old 05-17-2005, 06:18 PM
ntloser

A couple of months ago, I was trying to figure out what truck/truggy to buy. After wathcing videos and seeing the trucks in person, The Traxxas stuff reminded me of a toy. Like something Radio shack would sell if they had Nitro cars. When I see the Revo, TMAXX, or Jato without the body I feel better about getting a savage each time. That little tiny head, the tiny engine, the plastic drive shaft. ugh I just didn't like it.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:45 PM
basher8

my friend has a revo and my 4.6 packs its lunch every weekend!!!! If you want a tuff truck get the savage (be sure to get the 4.6 SS)

OH, i forgot to mention that my savage isn't even leaned out good and I'm kick'in his butt every time!!!
Old 05-17-2005, 06:56 PM
ntloser

If you plan on racing on a track get the Revo. If you wanna bash get the Savage
Old 05-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: dolsen

I called my local hobbie shop today to see if he would match towers price on a new Savage. He said I would be making a big mistake and tried to sell me anything other than the Savage. I am now in doubt if I should buy the Savage. He told me that he will stock them because the transmitions always break as do the drive shafts. This guy has been around for some time and races so I don't want to just write his opinion off as trash talk. He also said that the .25 was way under powered and that the Traxxas 2.5 will blow it away.I am looking for some input from others that have multiple trucks and will give hones feed back. I really want a Savage but don't want my but kicked by my brothers REVO.
heh, sounds like he was out of stock and still wanted to make a sell..Never listen to anything this person tells you again if possible.... if not, have your grain of salt ready.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:55 PM
dolsen

He said that the .25 was weak but didn't talk about the 4.6 is there a big difference? I wanted a 4.6 kit but can't spend six to seven hundred dollars so I want the RTR now. I know that it wasn't a fact of him not having any instock because I have been buuying airplane stuff from him for years and have never really seen anything other than Traxxas and Losi trucks in his store.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:33 PM
Polar_Bus

He said that the .25 was weak but didn't talk about the 4.6 is there a big difference? I wanted a 4.6 kit but can't spend six to seven hundred dollars so I want the RTR now. I know that it wasn't a fact of him not having any instock because I have been buuying airplane stuff from him for years and have never really seen anything other than Traxxas and Losi trucks in his store.

What kind of idiot hobby shop salesperson are you dealing with??? (He must be a airplane guy). Savages are arguably the toughest MT on the market. I have 2 of them, and the only thing that can periodically brake is the upper arms, the fuel tank, and under a brutal hit the TVP's will bend. Its all in how hard you plan to beat your truck. I have absolutely no regrets with my Savages, I would buy a third one if I had any money, (remember I am into nitro)
Rich
Old 05-17-2005, 09:53 PM
dolsen

Tommorow I will call the other hobbie shop in the next town near me. I have a bad feeling they will tell me the same thing though. I was in there last year after a fun fly and I think all they carried was Traxxas stuff.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:24 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

I was in there last year after a fun fly and I think all they carried was Traxxas stuff.
...it's great if you own a shop... the Traxxas guys need parts. I would sell them too; bread and butter of the trucks.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:35 PM
usernametaken

this is my first venture into rc with the ss 25 and am quite impressed things that i have broken have been from my bad driving, actually i am impressed i havent broken more. cant comment on revos as I dont know much about them they look like they are pretty good but dont look as tough as a savvy. i hope to upgrade end of year to 4.6 and keep my 25 for spares..parts interchange with savyy are a big plus in my books as well as support and a ton of option parts out there for it.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:26 AM
Bonksnp

ORIGINAL: ntloser

If you plan on racing on a track get the Revo. If you wanna bash get the Savage
Exactly what I was thinking.

It's unfortunate that someone with alot of experience would think that the Savage is crap and Revo isnt. Really neither are. I've seen multiple of both break almost everything. If your wanting to beat your friends Revo, get a Revo and drive better. You can probaly bash a Savage more then a Revo (from what I've seen) but I'm sure you'll enjoy either.

But again, for your situation, I'd probably go with a Revo. (sounds like you might get more support from your LHS as well)
Old 05-18-2005, 07:56 AM
:Green:

I had both Savage and a Revo, got rid of the Revo...."There can be only one."..[>:]
Old 05-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

With an upgraded engine and a few choice parts, a Savage can roast a Revo - especially in the back yard! Or then you could roast your brother on the track and in the yard with an LST (I have & love both). There is much to be said about the durability of the Savage (The LST has yet to prove itself - it is just gettng broken-in).
Old 05-18-2005, 11:11 AM
thunderw0lf

My LHS loves pushing the Traxxas trucks but they were more than happy to get me the new SS K4.6. I would tell them if they want your money to get you what you want. As for the support, you got all of us here.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:32 PM
dolsen

Called the other hobbie shop at lunch today and they said they would order me one with no hassle. They also only stock Traxxas trucks I guess. They wanted $422.00 with tax so I think I will get it threw Tower.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Ducman69

heh, sounds like he was out of stock and still wanted to make a sell..Never listen to anything this person tells you again if possible.... if not, have your grain of salt ready.
Seconded! [:'(]

Savages are known for being tough trucks, and while the Revo is quick, its not because of a power advantage by any means (its just lighter). The Savage is a great truck. BTW Towers is a GREAT place to buy your stuff (I just spent another $150 with em hehe) if you are buying lots at once (otherwise shipping kinda gets ya). However, I've found that www.ultimatehobbies.com has awesome prices, free shipping, and they shipped my order out the day I called in.
Savage: $369.95 + free shipping + no tax + in stock
Woot!
Old 05-19-2005, 12:13 AM
cetme308

Since I have no money, its easy to research because your not itching to burn that cash. So, I've been checking both the revo and savage out and since I'm a basher only, I'd go with the savage. I've watched a ton of videos of the savage and seen it do some crazy crap and live. I'd never do that stuff so I know it would do exactly what I want and survive with ease. Sadly, I'm having a hard time finding some good videos of the revo doing the jumps I see savages do. Maybe I'll check out the trax official board.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:50 AM
Ducman69

Savage is a better jumper out of the box, but Revo can be tuned (at the sacrifice of handling though). Its pretty durable too. There are vids on Traxxas' site:
http://www.traxxas.com/ftp/revo_mov/...deo_revo07.htm (thats a pretty big jump, and it survived all the failed attempts where it landed upside down and such before that successful one)
More vids here: http://www.traxxas.com/products/vide...ideo_vault.htm
Old 05-19-2005, 12:55 AM
cetme308

I've seen that video and its all nice but its a company video so I take it with a grain of salt. I want to see some of the basher groups take the revo and put it thru the paces.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:13 AM
Ducman69

True, its a company vid... but it is still on tape, so no extreme visible damage. Hard to find videos with the Revo or Jato since they are still relatively new. Most local shops and even Towers was sold out of em until recently.

Hmmm... here two mixed duty bashings (no super-air, but tumbles on hard surfaces):
http://www.beatyourtruck.com/videos/frontflips-byt.zip (this one is a Savage and a Revo... Revo broke only the body which was lucky, savage landed odd and killed tank and body)
http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/videos/...vo2-high26.zip (Revo only, some decent action in the middle of the vid)

Sounds like a challenge though, we need some massive air vids with new Revos to see if it can hold a candle to the Savage. Luckily they fixed first delivery bugs w/ the arms and rod ends.

EDIT: Here you go, stumbled across another vid:
http://www.rcpics.net/media/bash.wmv (got some good flips in there and general bashin-mashin and monster air) It ain't no T-Maxx. Woot! [X(][8D]
Old 05-19-2005, 08:26 AM
Philster

You'll spend 1% of your time drag racing any Traxxas product and 99% of the time bashing the Savage. Traxxas is trying to bridge the gap between toys and Hobbies. The quickness enjoyed by Traxxas is because their vehicles are lighter...almost from the side effect of not being beefy. Savages are more like Monster Trucks.

You cannot tell the difference between 39 MPH and 41 MPH.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:28 AM
flier
My Feedback: (7)

Built for the big jumps and bashing.
Weight is 15 lbs 4oz.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25360.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	273573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19186.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	273574  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.