Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Bud Nosen Kits ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 04:53 PM
klykera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bud Nosen Kits ?

Does anyone know the web adress for A&A Industries or where I can find imfo on Bud Nosen kits thanks
Old 01-19-2003, 05:48 PM
Lew Thompson

Default Bud Nosen Kits ?

Their website is

http://www.aaind.com/catalog/listall.asp?Listtype=Kits
Old 01-19-2003, 07:16 PM
eagledancer-RCU

Default Bud Nosen Kits ?

good luck getting them to answer thier emails
btw which kit were you interested in? i have a couple of them
Old 01-19-2003, 09:02 PM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

Default kits

do u have the p47 for sale? someone told me those planes came with fiberglass fuse and no wood, but anyway, if u have it do u want to sell it?
Andrew
Old 01-20-2003, 01:16 AM
Skeletor-delete

Default Bud Nosen Kits ?

I have a Nosen P-51 that I am building and a Nosen P-47 kit thats about 12 years old but complete as far as I can tell. Both planes are complete wood. The P-47 comes with a clear plastic cowl, canopy and another bubble. There is a man in Lake Jackson that flys a Nosen P-51 and he has a f-glass fuse for his plane. I dont know where he got it. I bought a new canopy and the cowl from the leading edge of the wing forward, from a company called Fiberglass Specialties >www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com< they are both excellent but the cowl has the exaust a bit out of alignment. The boxs only have A&A Ind. Sibley IA 51249 on them. I bought them both second hand. I had sold the Mustang about 10 years ago but bought it back at the end of 2001 just as I had left it. IMHO it is a master builders kit. There were no instructions in either kit, just a set of plans. The Mustang is set up for a gear reduction motor and the way I fly and my reputation for hard landings, the whole plane is being built a lot stronger that the plans call for. I moved the firewall back to the leading edge of the wing and plan to fly a 3W-150-R in-line twin. These kits are basicly a box of sticks and fuse formers so plan on spending a lot of time building. On the up-side, these kits leave a lot of latitude for modifications and strengthening. Good luck and have fun!!!
Old 01-20-2003, 02:44 AM
Newflee

Default Bud Nosen Kits ?

Do a search on Nosen kits. You'll find a common theme....They suck.
Their prices are attractive but they will cost you more in the end. Fly ok though.

Lee
Old 01-20-2003, 02:54 AM
changed
Banned

Default Bud Nosen Kits ?

Had a budnosen trainer with a g38 on it. The plane was so heavy, but it flew. You get what you pay for and we found a pine tree in the box with a set of plans.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:20 AM
bn120
My Feedback: (1)

Default Bud Nosen Kits ?

They are great if you like high run number die crunch wood

they suck!!

just my opinion of course, I generaly rarely slam a product but they really do trully SUCK!!!

Darin
Old 01-20-2003, 07:30 AM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bud Nosen Kits ?

Now "sucks" is rather harsh...
There are good kits IF:
You KNOW how to build..
You want an easy flying plane..
You want a decent replica of what a real plane looks like..

They are not too great IF:
You are trying to save funds..
You don't mind a lack of instructions..
You don't mind die cut parts from what appears to be an OLD
set of dies.. <kinda smunched>..
You hate carving/sanding..

I have a Bud Nosen and an A&A kit of 310.. Noticable difference..

Robby
Old 01-20-2003, 07:39 AM
Newflee

Default Bud Nosen Kits ?

Hey robby,
I could only stand to read the first two lines of your post but my gut response is you suck.

Lee
Old 01-20-2003, 09:31 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bud Nosen Kits ?

Robby is right, a world of difference between an original Nosen kit & an A & A. Think they( A & A ) have a bunch of monkeys select the wood!! Times change!! >>>>>>>>big max 1935
Old 01-20-2003, 09:54 AM
Newflee

Default Bud Nosen Kits ?

must be.
Old 01-22-2003, 03:49 PM
klykera

Default Bud Nosen Kits ?

Thank you Everyone who replyed to my post. some of you hit it right on the head. These kits do suck. if anyone is thinkingof buying know this. you will have to buy a lot of new wood befor you can start building it. that is the down side. The up side is.they are a strong verry well designed kit. I have a 1/4 scale Cit and champ. they both fly like the real thing and I love the **** out of them
Thanks again
klykera
Old 01-22-2003, 04:22 PM
Robby

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bud Nosen Kits ?

Woww,,
Why Lee,, Thank you for the compliment.. :sunsmiley

Robby
Old 01-22-2003, 06:32 PM
cap10fan
My Feedback: (13)

Default Bud Nosen Kits ?

Here Lee <flips quarter>, go buy yourself a new pair pantie hose. The ones your wearing are obviously bunched up.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:47 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Bud Nosen Kits ?

Robby said it best.

Kits are just fine, a lot of lumber for the price but you do have to build'em. A friend once bought a P-51 kit at a swap for $75.00 just to restock his balsa supply. That box must have weighed 25 pounds and was full of 4" and 6" 3/32 sheets of high quality wood.

I built a Citabria five years ago, flew the be Jesus out of it for four and it now hangs in my brother-in-laws' office. Weighed 11 pounds RTF with a Magnum 1.08 and flew like a scalded dog.

The kits are actually a good value but anyone who can't or won't build would naturally think they suck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	49549_4082.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	30010  
Old 01-23-2003, 08:37 AM
MAJSteve
My Feedback: (-1)

Default Bud Nosen Kits ?

I got a Nosen P-51 (original) I thought the wood was of acceptable quality and the fuse came out at 5 lbs without motor, the wing at 6 lbs. I'll get back to it soon because now I have access to a big enough bench vice to bend the (*&#%) landing gear. Found a canopy on eBay for $5 and that was the only piece missing.

Probably power it with an OPS 30 Maxi and make a spinner from wood because I have a lathe.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:21 AM
big max 1935

Default Bud Nosen Kits ?

When you stop & think at the time frame in which these kits were designed, they were state of the art then. They are a builders kit & should be looked at that way. Bud was one of the first to come out with a flyable large air-craft using the type of engines available back then. They will today take the power of most any thing we want to hang on the fire wall, with a little added support here & there & common sense! At the prices they bring today are not out of line & you can afford to replace some items.Still a very good flier & what more do we want?? big max 1935
Old 01-23-2003, 01:47 PM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

Default Bud Nosen Kits ?

I got a Nosen Gere Sport kit back in 1993. I cut out all the parts and weighed all the stuff in the kit that would actually end up in the plane. It came to 18 pounds. Then I looked for ways I could eliminate unnecessary wood, especially plywood, during the construction. It turned out that I had 4 pounds of wood left after building the plane. The plane weighed 21 pounds ready to fly and is a real sweetie with a Quadra 42. I put over 114 "in the air" hours on the plane before I sold it, so I don't think I left out anything that was really necessary.

My point is that the kit is not designed very well and has a LOT of extra material in it. From what I've seen, other Nosen kits suffer from the same problem.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:15 PM
gone.

Default Nosen Kits

I can't speak for Nosen Kits except for the Mr. Mulligan which I built. It was an older kit when I got it and it was my first 1/4 scale. I had a ball building it and flying it. Unfortunately it was built about 2 years before I had the skills to fly it. I made 12 flights and then strained it nicely through some 80 foot NH pines. I flew it with a US Engine 41cc and I think, and was told, it was quite scale in flight. I did modify it in that the balsa stringers in the rear were replaced with spruce at the advice of a friend and much more experienced builder. From the posts here I guess I won't go looking for another Nosen Mr. Mulligan produced in the last few months. I'd sure like to buy an older one though.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:01 PM
big max 1935

Default Bud Nosen Kits ?

rogerflies: Did you have a Nosen kit or A & A ? We heard that A & A made some changes to the kits after they bought rights` to kit them. No cad engineering back in 70`s so most designs were over built . Nosen flew these on a 60`s ,so they couldn`t have been too bad. My old Cub was built in 76 & up graded in 96, she`s still going. One good thing is that Nosen came out with kits of planes that no one else have released yet. Bet your Gere Sport was a real floater with all that wing area, sounds like a fun ship, probably first 1/3 scale kit produced. Good Luck big max 1935
Old 01-23-2003, 04:29 PM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

Default Bud Nosen Kits ?

I'm pretty sure it was a Nosen kit. It was already pretty old when I bought it at a swap shop. It was a floater, but the real floater in my stable came a few years later and is still flying.

It's a 42% Spacewalker with a 135" wingspan that weighs only 24.5 pounds. It'll go up in thermals with the engine off. My longest glide time so far is 16 minutes. Flies with a G-45. I've logged 240+ hours and 6000+ landings.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	49600_1890.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	30011  
Old 01-24-2003, 02:49 AM
changed
Banned

Default Bud Nosen Kits ?

A friend of mine has had a gere sport for at least 20 years, and is still flying it today. I doubt many of todays kits could take that many years of flying and still be airworthy.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:47 AM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

Default Nosen Kits

I have built two of his kits. First the Mr. Muligan that I over built and flew like a rock, Then a P-51 that is full house with sequencing gear doors,three piece wing,full cockpit and pilot,pannel lines and rivets. If you are not an experienced builder you will have big problems building them. I know there are a lot of unfinished kits out ther. Also I purchased my Mustang kit for about $75.00 and put another $1500 to $2000.00 in it including the radio. The plane weighs 38 pounds with a G-62 on alcohol and flies fantastic. It always brings a smile to the spectators when it comes roaring by. Here is a picture of it in flight.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:22 PM
Albert Din

Default Noswn P-51

On the score of the Nosen P-51(old one), I can tell you first hand that it was a long process building that plane. But, I would do it again. That is because I like to build and this kit lets you build from scratch what other manufactures do for you in short cuts.

After you finish building a Nosen kit, they fly like a dream.

My two cents,

Albert