Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

A noob question!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:55 AM
bluesox_68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A noob question!

Ok so I just got a RS10 in a trade and I am pretty excited but I don't really know anything about crawling. I have a few extra lipo's kicking around and I was wondering if a <span class="headingb">5000mAh 2S1P 30C hardcase pack could work with it? Is it too much power or will it melt gears. I am not sure if it has a lipo cut off either and if its ok what kind of run times can I expect? Thanks and any imput you guys have on this crawler would be awesome! Thanks.
</span>
Old 01-14-2010, 02:09 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A noob question!

Who makes the RS10?
Old 01-14-2010, 02:16 AM
bluesox_68

sorry its this. http://www.rc-tradingpost.com/elrctrreraro.html
Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 AM
RedNexBilly

good score,i'm still waiting for mine xenonproject....claimed to have them in stock,looking back i find it odd they are the only company in the known universe to have them in stock,i normally don't buy from off name traders,so i cast the dice ha    rnb
Old 01-14-2010, 10:29 AM
RCToysNh

We have some in stock here if you can not find them elsewhere.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:26 PM
bluesox_68

Thanks, Any one knnow about the lipo though?
Old 01-14-2010, 03:24 PM
dudecat

Looking at the page you posted it requires 7.2v battery packs so i don't believe lip will work with it. Not a big deal as 7.2v batteries are cheap these days.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:31 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bluesox_68

Ok so I just got a RS10 in a trade and I am pretty excited but I don't really know anything about crawling. I have a few extra lipo's kicking around and I was wondering if a <span class=''headingb''>5000mAh 2S1P 30C hardcase pack could work with it? Is it too much power or will it melt gears. I am not sure if it has a lipo cut off either and if its ok what kind of run times can I expect? Thanks and any imput you guys have on this crawler would be awesome! Thanks.
</span>

Yes, you could use a lipo with that truck. But you will need a lipo cut off or you could seriously damage the lipo.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:56 PM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: dudecat

Looking at the page you posted it requires 7.2v battery packs so i don't believe lip will work with it. Not a big deal as 7.2v batteries are cheap these days.
RS10 Uses 6 cell square packs as pictured (not standard 6 cell flats)The Super Crawler does use standard flats. Lipos could be used but would need some mods to fit and run correct.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91752.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	1356056  
Old 01-14-2010, 07:00 PM
RedNexBilly

RCToysNH,you were my first choice...but just like a 52 yr old kid,i kept hunting,now 6 days later still no ups tracking....my next buy. i will keep your outfit in mind    rnb
Old 01-14-2010, 07:58 PM
jsowens

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203627

There's a thread I started over on rccrawler that has 28 pages worth of info on these rigs to keep you busy. I've never felt the desire to upgrade to lipo on my RS10, but there are a couple of people on rccrawler using 2 cell lipos and they're holding up. The only way you're gonna destroy the gears is by running it full throttle with a battery with a lot of power, or with more powerful motors. If you crawl with it...not bash and go as fast as you can, as often as you can, you should be fine. Might wanna look into a lipo cutoff, though...pretty sure the stock ESC doesn't have one. Theoretically, you can use any shape battery with the RS10's...You don't necessarily have to stick with the 6 cell brick pack that goes inside the chassis, but if you go for something else you might have to figure out an alternative way of mounting it. I, for instance, have fully modded my RS10 and will be running a 6 cell nimh saddle pack mounted to the rear axle. Good luck with your truck.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:17 AM
bluesox_68

Thanks for the info! I will be searching that thread too, cheers
Old 01-15-2010, 06:43 AM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: RedNexBilly

RCToysNH,you were my first choice...but just like a 52 yr old kid,i kept hunting,now 6 days later still no ups tracking....my next buy. i will keep your outfit in mind rnb
Tracking from who ? Us ?
Drop us a PM with your order number ?
Old 01-15-2010, 07:37 AM
RedNexBilly

from xenonproject.com,now my crawler is in a ups facility in baldwin park cal. i'm sure it will show up someday....maybe ha rnb
Old 01-19-2010, 08:11 PM
RedNexBilly

finally my rs10 arrived,was able to get some run time off battery before it gave up the ghost....now for the recharge,going to get better charger and battery upgrade,should have that next week rctoysnh gets that bid,upgrade the tires rpp gets that bid   rnb