Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Engine Choice for H9 Taylorcraft

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Engine Choice for H9 Taylorcraft

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 03:50 AM
jr10x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Choice for H9 Taylorcraft

I would like some views on which is most perferred: G-26 or Saito 1.8 for the H9 Taylorcraft. I don't want full scale flying, but would like to have some performance flying w/ the economy of gas.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:21 AM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

Check out RS Engines ( http://takeoff.to/rsengines ). Sounds like for what your wanting they have a 33cc gasser thats powerful and AFFORDABLE! What ever you choose, good luck!

Steve
Old 03-06-2003, 01:18 AM
rev

Default gas

I agree the 33cc is the way to go!! I have one in a cub 1/4 and it pulls it around like a pattern plane if I want it to.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:37 AM
jr10x

Thanks, I checked out the 33cc and will consider.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:28 AM
Lance Oakley
My Feedback: (1)

I used a JAGengines 31cc Ryobi on my B.O.B

Don't know if it is better than the 33cc mentioed above, but it is quite a bit narrower. I'd look at the physical dimensions of both and see which fits your plane the best. Performance should be similar.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:31 PM
PJAMESRC
My Feedback: (19)

HBAR
I HAVE A H9 TAYLORCRAFT WITH A RCS-1.40 THIS ENGINE IS DESIGNED FOR MODELS MANUFACTURED BY MOKI BUT GAS
SMALL COMPACT AND MUCH MORE POWERFUL THAN G23/G26
SEE RCSHOWCASE ADVERTISED ON RCUNIVERSE. YOU CAN ALSO CHECK MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS MAY 2002 ISSUE FOR COMPARISON OF 100 DIFFERENT ENGINES
RCS1.40 EGUALS 2.9 HP AND WT OF 1.75LB THE G23 IS 2.0 HP AND WEIGHS 3.19LB JIM
Old 03-06-2003, 05:21 PM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

I have a Taylorcraft with a Saito 1.50. This engine weighs 1.96 lbs and produces 2.5hp (according to Horizon, I haven't actually measured either).
The performance is more than adequate, giving reasonable vertical performance and scale cruising at 1/2-3/4 throttle. Note that I had to add 20 oz. to the nose to balance the plane, with the servos in recommended locations (except the throttle, which was mounted further forward), and with the battery as far forward (under the fuel tank) as posible. In view of that, if I were to reequip this plane I'd use a more powerful, heavier engine.

Note that this plane has a *really* wide cowl, but I'd still be careful to try to find an engine that would fit under that beauty with a minimum of cutting. I think an inverted G-23 would fit with just a slot or hole to clear the plug, but the larger gassers with side mounted carbs and mufflers might require side holes that in my opinion really ruin the plane's looks.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:48 PM
SAL98
My Feedback: (6)

Go with the ZDZ 40B ( sport version). very light for it's size and also very powerful. It weighs 3.875 1bs with engine, muffler, Ign module, batt , prop and switch.RC Showcase

I have one on a H9 Edge 540 and It is really easy to run and has gobbs of power.

I also know of a guy who has the regular zdz 40 on his daughters taylorcraft. He shot a video and did a review on the setup.
Check ScaleAerobatics and look under Links for Joe Hunts webpage.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:17 AM
jmupilot

Default H9 Taylorcraft engine

I have a H9 Taylotcraft with a Saito 180. It has great vertical performance. I suspect too much power is more like it. But i was looking for the ability to hang the plane on the prop. It will rotate in about 20 ft and climb from there. If i were looking for more scale like power I would opt for a 120 or the G23. But then i can fly in a scale like maner by using partial throttle. As light as this plane is I'm sure the 120 or G23 is more than adequate.

Also the scale struts are not needed and seem to fly off the fuselage after a few flights when the mounting bracket fractures. I only put them on for static display nowafter having to replace them.yes i have pulled many g's aneverf had awing failure. I learned that they were not needed after talking to another H9 pilot.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:28 PM
jr10x

I have a Saito 180, but am trying to keep two large gas engines(BME50 on my Pitts)and and small 4 strokes(72,91,100). Thanks for the info. Btw what prop is on the Saito 180?