Community
Search
Notices
TJT Turbine Direct Support Ask your questions about TJT turbine in this forum. All I-Jets related questions may be asked here if relevant or in the general jet forum.

starter slipping

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 02:00 PM
MAX NITRO
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter slipping

I have a TJT 3000 and my starter throws out the clutch fine but when it engages on the nose cone of the compressor the grommet slips and makes a loud rubbing noise.
It is trying to turn the compressor but it is slipping. I replaced the grommet thinking the rubber may be old and hard but the same thing, just keeps slipping.
Any suggestions?
Old 10-06-2007, 02:09 PM
pilot727

Default RE: starter slipping

Send it back to where you bought it. If still under warentee
Old 10-07-2007, 03:07 AM
JET FX

ORIGINAL: MAX NITRO

I have a TJT 3000 and my starter throws out the clutch fine but when it engages on the nose cone of the compressor the grommet slips and makes a loud rubbing noise.
It is trying to turn the compressor but it is slipping. I replaced the grommet thinking the rubber may be old and hard but the same thing, just keeps slipping.
Any suggestions?
Most likely if the clutch O-Ring is spinning freely when engaging compressor nut I would first check that theres no liquid lube of any kind in fact getting onto the grommet. No 'wet' lubes such as machine oil, WD-40 etc should be used whatsoever on the starter clutch mechanism itself. Dry lube such as graphite dust is acceptable only for lube of clutch...

The e-starters centrifugal forces at high RPMs will let any wet lubes work their way to grommet and cause slippage.
If problem persists? please feel free to PM me your phone number and I will call you directly to discuss further possible fixes. Hope this helps...

Cheers- Marty
JET FX Australia

Old 10-07-2007, 09:51 AM
MAX NITRO
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks marty,
I set the starter power to MAX =255 in the FADEC and I replaced the gromett. I also moved the clutch closer to the nose cone.
It engages much better now but it still squeaks as the gromett starts to gain traction on the nose cone.
I suspect the starter was put on afterwards and the engine was only ever air started, the nose cone is not very conical like the other engines i have and more like a shallow dome.
Are there 2 types of nose cones on TJT's?
Old 10-07-2007, 06:50 PM
JET FX

Max Nitro- There are three upgraded versions of the TJT-3000 and different clutch designs also which will make a difference. Like I suggest best to send me your contact details via PM and I will get in touch with you to go over your engines history and and we can then determine which version you have and discuss ideal set up and parameter settings, as they can vary slightly.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:56 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the same problem on my Ram 500. I put a drop of CA in the O-ring grove and then installed the O-ring gromett. It worked like charm, no more slipping.

Joe