Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

GMS engine problems...... GARBAGE

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 03:43 PM
baxternick
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMS engine problems...... GARBAGE

I have a GMS 1.20 engine that I was running in my UCD .60. I did the break in step by step like the manual says. I ran over a gallon through it. I was using it for only its second flight the other day and it started to become unresponsive to throttle input, and shut off suddenly. Upon landing I notice the engine is hard to spin over, and there is a metal on metal sound inside. I call good old TOWER HOBBIES about it and they want me to send it in to be repaired. Well I call the "REPAIR CENTER", and they say it may take along time and that I might be able to do it myself. Well I open the back plate today to find the center of the crank going through the piston arm is very loose inside. But there is no debri inside either. I assume a bearing is lost. So here is where my anger comes in.... First I think TOWER should just allow me to send this crap back for brand new one, second I also noticed the price is now almost 30 dollars less (leaves me wondering is this somthing that has happened more than once), and last is this somthing that anyone else has had happen to there GMS?
Old 04-26-2004, 04:29 PM
Jerry Sigur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GMS engine problems...... GARBAGE

Not saying you didn't break it in right but sometimes with a ringed engine,
especially this size, it takes alot more than a gallon of fuel to break in.
I've had ST.90's that required 2 gallons or more to hold a steady
needle setting (to be reliable and not quit).
Jerry
Old 04-26-2004, 05:08 PM
rc_for_me
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you purchased it within the past 30 days, Tower will take it back no questions asked. Just send it in.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:12 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What type of fuel were you using? Oil content? Was your mixture needle set lean?

Sounds like all you really need is a new rod, not an entire new engine. You would just have to go through more break in time anyway and pay for the extra fuel to do it.

I'm sure if you told Hobby Services (in a nice way) what you found they would probably just send you a new rod for free.