Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

problem with duratrax element/sidewinder

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

problem with duratrax element/sidewinder

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 07:23 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default problem with duratrax element/sidewinder

I got a duratrax element brushless system with 4 poll 3900kv motor in a used truck.

when I pulled it out of the box and powered it on, the motor worked (bench tested)

later after work, I re-did the wiring so that the extra motor wire was inside the chassis. just repositioned it really.

Now I get nothing from the motor. the esc lights up, responds to throttle input but no sound or movement from the motor.

I tried recalibrating the ESC, and had it plugged into the computer via castle link (its a rebranded sidewinder basically) but those didnt help.

I have wiggled the wires, pushed them into the motor and esc, tired every combo of how to plug the esc to the motor wires and nothing has helped.

Has anyone else had any issue like this?

It sucks cause I cant just send the esc/motor to duratrax. they dont do repairs on their own stuff. And most likely I will be charged $$$ to get it repaired(probly more than the esc is worth)

Any ideas, or anything I can try?

I have never had luck with castle esc's
Old 08-02-2012, 03:50 PM
hunt2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: problem with duratrax element/sidewinder

How long have you had your element, they have a 120 day limited warranty on replacement or repair. I had the exact same problem with mine. ive had mine since April 22/12 and lve been using my castle program card for settngs, last sat. at race i plugged in my lipo and noticed only my steering was working and not my throttle but, my esc lights were responding to my radio, i unplugged the lipo and reconnected and everything was fine, now it takes me to plug-in lipo,disconnect and plug in again to get things going. when i get home that night i decided to give my truck a little more punch with my castle card. I hook my card up and nothing but the green light on card lights up but no program functions,then i break out my castle inter link cable and try to program thru my computer, still nothing. I get on the phone with Duratrax tech and he says it sounds like something in the esc board and send it to them for replacement or repair. I just sent it out to them today and this is my first time dealing with Duratrax and i will keep everyone informed on their customer service when i get it back. The tech also told me they had a 3-5 day turnaround once they receive it. If you cant get things going give them a call sothey can get your info before you send it ,were they will be expecting it.

Duratrax Product Support 217-398-8970 (option #5)
Old 08-03-2012, 07:42 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: hunt2010

How long have you had your element, they have a 120 day limited warranty on replacement or repair. I had the exact same problem with mine. ive had mine since April 22/12 and lve been using my castle program card for settngs, last sat. at race i plugged in my lipo and noticed only my steering was working and not my throttle but, my esc lights were responding to my radio, i unplugged the lipo and reconnected and everything was fine, now it takes me to plug-in lipo,disconnect and plug in again to get things going. when i get home that night i decided to give my truck a little more punch with my castle card. I hook my card up and nothing but the green light on card lights up but no program functions,then i break out my castle inter link cable and try to program thru my computer, still nothing. I get on the phone with Duratrax tech and he says it sounds like something in the esc board and send it to them for replacement or repair. I just sent it out to them today and this is my first time dealing with Duratrax and i will keep everyone informed on their customer service when i get it back. The tech also told me they had a 3-5 day turnaround once they receive it. If you cant get things going give them a call so they can get your info before you send it ,were they will be expecting it.

Duratrax Product Support 217-398-8970 (option #5)
what address did you send it to?

when I looked on their site, it seemed I had to send it to somewhere else to get it repaired/replaced. I didnt think they handled repairs themselves.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:45 PM
hunt2010

Heres the adress: Duratrax Product Support
3002 N. Apollo dr, Suite #1
Champaign,IL 61822

Old 08-03-2012, 03:18 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: hunt2010

Heres the adress: Duratrax Product Support
3002 N. Apollo dr, Suite #1
Champaign,IL 61822

thanx.
I put the esc on ebay "as is" thinking maybe someone will buy it if they know how to repair.
If it doesnt sell, ill send it to that address.
I couldnt find an address to send to that was actually to duratrax.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:46 PM
hunt2010

cool, actually the esc is really easy to tune and runs great, mine was working when i sent it off, it was just killing me that it was only woking after the second lipo connection and i couldnt use my feild card for tuning. Now its duratrax time to show me if their customer support is any good. when i get it back i will post here on their service. good luck!!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:40 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I hear ya
I have (to date) sent traxxas 4 vxl speed controls and one vxl motor.
In each case, I got them used, has no recipt and who knows how old the units were.
And in each case, traxxas replaced or repaird them for free.
Granted, each time I got a message saying that I should have had to pay unless I had a recipt showing that the unit was less than 90 days old, but that they would replace it for free "this time".

But the point is, I have no fears buying traxxas products...cause if I have an issue I know they will take care of it.

Traxxas and redcat are the only companies I have any experiece with as far as customer service. both rank pretty high in my book.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:15 PM
hunt2010

that is true, i have never had a problem with Traxxas, I bought a newassociated sc10 to race and i still find myself racing my old traxxas slash with a couple a-main wins,no offense to AE(still racing it too)but, i can just get traxxas parts with no problems and great tech support.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:16 PM
hunt2010

Ok, got my new Element esc back from Duratrax as promised(6 days), I must give them props, I had no problem getting hold of the techs, very supportive, and instead of repairing my old esc, they sent me a new one through UPS. I got it hooked up, programmed and ready to race sat.Now i can continue to use their products without any worries. Thanks Duratrax!!
Old 09-07-2012, 04:50 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I got no love from duratrax[&o]

I sent the ESC to the address Hunt2010 gave me over 2 weeks ago (priority mailed it)
I included my address , email and detailed what was wrong with it.

I recieved no emails at all from duratrax. Not even a "we recieved your item" email.

I wouldnt have been surprized if they emailed me and said there was a cost for the repair....but to not even LMK they got it is lame.

I will have to try and find a phone # to call. But if hunt got his in a week, I doubt Ill ever see mine again[:'(]
Old 09-07-2012, 05:01 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I found the support email addy for duratrax and sent them an email. Lets hope I at least get a reply.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:01 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

I did get a reply,
they are no help [&:]

Thank you for contacting product support. I apologize for the delay. You should have received an email stating the issue. There was no copy of the sales receipt for the esc therefore they are offering a new esc for $54.35 plus shipping. The work order number is 349108. Thanks,

I hope you find this information helpful. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at this email address. (Please be sure to copy all previous e-mails into any future questions.) You can also reach our product support technical team at 217-398-8970, or via fax at 217-398-7721.

DID YOU KNOW that our web pages now all contain FAQs? (Frequently asked questions) Please drop by and take a look! We hope you'll find the information helpful and valuable to you.

Mike M.

Product Support Technician

Great Planes Distributors

PS9021

I can buy one on ebay for less than they price they want. If they had wanted $20 to repair it maybe Id do that. But for $50 there are several BETTER esc's I can buy.