Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

SLIPPER CLUTCH QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 02:04 PM
drive2survive
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLIPPER CLUTCH QUESTION

ITS THE 2ND TIME ITS HAPPENED SO NEED TO ASK, WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHEN THE SLIPPER CLUTCH NUT IS ALL THE WAY IN ?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:26 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: SLIPPER CLUTCH QUESTION

Assuming it's similar to a ball diff... I'm not totally sure of the difference:

The differential will be tighter or locked. Tighter means more grip going straight, looser means less direct power but better handling.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Scottgir

It means that your slipper is locked so 100% of the motor power and torque is applied to the drive train. For some vehicles and depending on your power plant...it's not an issue. But if you're running a pretty hot motor in a notably weak drive train, that's when you want the slipper.

Tighten it all the way, then back off 1/8-1/4 of a turn. Easiest way to set the slipper in my opinion.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:39 AM
drive2survive

I turned the nut all the way in and all the way out and the axels just spin with no power to the wheels, so am assuming it ate some gears inside the box, that sound right?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:44 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No, it doesn't.

If you tighten the nut all the way then the clutch is essentially locked. Your car should move and you will see the axles turn. If you loosened the nut all the way then the clutch won't grip and your motor will spin the spur and that's it. The axles won't turn and the car won't move.

Since you stated that the axles turn but your car doesn't move then you have another issue. It sounds to me like your wheels aren't mounted on the drive pins or a pin fell out. Or the wheels are stripped.

Can you clarify any of the details for us?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:28 AM
drive2survive

maybe I said that wrong, the axels donot turn, so am thinking it ate some gears, that sound right?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:32 AM
BKoz559

That's a real possibility. A key indicator is the harsh sound made by the damaged gears when you try to drive the car. Or you can push it by hand and you will feel tight / gritty spots. From there you need to determine if the damage is on the extermal spur or somewhere inside the transmission. IF everything feels smooth and the car still doesn't move then it's probably just a loose clutch. Tighten it down all the way then back off slightly, about 1/4 turn.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:34 PM
SLAYERDUDE

What kind of car is it?
On an RC10GT the slipper can be fully tight and the diff bolt can loosen up acting like the slipper or gears are gone..
Old 09-06-2012, 03:09 PM
drive2survive

its a losi highroller and Im using a hot/fast velineum motor...I replaced one of the plastic gears for metal so am thinking it ate some gears, not sure till I tear it apart, and yes it was making noise[:@]
Old 09-06-2012, 06:03 PM
SLAYERDUDE

If possible you might want to edit your OP subject so it includes the model, or start a new topic, you'll get much better info than general slipper advice on any random model that some other guy has.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:20 PM
BKoz559

Sounds like crunched gears to me. As long as you have to rebuild the transmission you may as well replace all the gears with metal ones. I don't know what you have already but here are links to the diff and idler gears:

Metal diff gear: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...trike-LOSB3593
Metal idler gear: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...trike-LOSB3548