Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 09:16 AM
hammer6689

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rebuild

Can anyone explain to me why I would want to buy a new piston & sleeve when it cost almost as much as a new engine?
I cant' see spending $80-$85 for a piston & sleeve when my engine cost about $125. Can anyone help. Thanks
Old 11-09-2003, 09:30 AM
studysession

Default RE: Engine Rebuild

What kind of engine do you have? I agree with you on your statement. I would not want to spend that much if I can get an engine for jsut 30 - 50 more either. JMO
Old 11-11-2003, 08:00 PM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Depends on what kind of engine and how much run time you have in it. Most engines that have been maint correctly and need a new piston and sleeve would also need other parts as well.
In most cases its more lucrative to purchase a new engine.

Dbow
Old 11-11-2003, 11:24 PM
lynx the great

send it off to wicked rs 01 and it will be better then new!
Old 11-13-2003, 01:09 PM
Nitroaddict

hammer - i would agree - that rebuilding sport engines is a waste of money. however, on high end race engines, the cost of the new engine is so high, that a rebuild is much more economical.

example - my RZ(VO1B)'s in the buggies are almost 300.00 new. a piston/sleeve/conrod is only 150.00 and i need to do it every year. so its much better for me. The RB Rody V12 i just purchased lists for 425.00, a new piston/sleeve/conrod is 210.00 - so again, a better deal.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:42 PM
nagata

I don't really have much input on when you should or shouldn't rebuild an engine, but I can tell you that when the piston and sleeve are shot in my XXX-NT's Mach .15, I'm definitely NOT rebuilding the stupid thing. I will be buying a NEW engine, because this I really do not like the Mach .15.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:55 PM
Billyman

If you aren’t or weren’t happy with your engines power, performance, reliability, etc and whatever before, when it was new, then you aren’t going to be happy with a rebuild. Sorry, it isn’t going to improve what was not there to begin with.

If you liked your engine before the wear and tear took its toll then I would recommend a rebuild. If you have the cash handy and you were in fact happy before hand, buy a new of the same or better and still rebuild the old.

Nothing beats a good spare.