Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

automatic transmitions ever used?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 11:36 PM
rkremser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default automatic transmitions ever used?

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone had ever setup an automatic transmition for their rc car. and if so how was it done.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:00 AM
NitroNostrils

Default RE: automatic transmitions ever used?

I don't think it would be cost effective, plus the forums would crash with everyone asking "whats wrong with my tranny?"....
Old 11-11-2003, 12:48 AM
Billyman
My Feedback: (1)

Hmm, both mine came with a two speed auto's.

Works for me!
Old 11-11-2003, 09:17 AM
nodolarsnosense
Banned

yeh billiman i agree, virtually all 2 n 3 speeds are autos just in a diff form to real cars, ie they do not use planitary gears, valves etc etc etc
ie 2 completely different systems but both autos

i dont actaully know how an rc auto properly works (i dont own one) and id like to know so if anyone knows any links?
Old 11-11-2003, 11:16 AM
Unstable

alot of nitro cars have 2 speed gearboxes.

basicaly its a centrificle clutch that engages another "gear set" as it disengages the first.

looking at the savage SS instructions [link=http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm]http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm[/link] (page 18-20) it looks like you have 3 gears on a shaft. one drives the shaft. the next is on a one way bearing (first gear) and the other a slipper clutch.

when the slipper clutch engages second gear the previous gear freewheels on the one way. i have a savage but never had to take apart the gearbox yet.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:31 PM
rkremser

Thanks, it helps a lot. I"m trying to put the concept into a school project. I" not sure if i'll go this route or another but any information helps. BTW we are making dragsters for a mechanical engineering course focusing more on the cad work and the cnc machines we will use but it couldnt' hurt to win the race.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:51 PM
Billyman

ORIGINAL: nodolarsnosense

yeh billiman i agree, virtually all 2 n 3 speeds are autos just in a diff form to real cars, ie they do not use planitary gears, valves etc etc etc
ie 2 completely different systems but both autos
You're kidding me right?
Old 11-13-2003, 01:13 PM
Nitroaddict

nope - he is right on, billyman. all multi speed tranny's in RC Cars are automatics. they operate just like a centrifugal clutch does in your lawnmower. 2 shoes are attached to a one way bearing and housing on the second gear. once sufficiant rpm's are achieved, the force drives the shoes outwards to connect with the clutch bell. this engages the next gear. when rpm's drop back down again, the shoes come back in and the 2nd gear disengages.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:43 PM
Billyman

Hehehahah!

Nitroaddict, I was jerking nodolarnonsense’s chain. He made a reference to an automotive transmission. I’m a performance auto technician by trade.

As for R/C tranny’s and how they work…..hehe…..been messing with this stuff for 15 years.

I’ve designed and built 2 speed clutch systems for go-carts like 8 years ago. Hmm, wonder what I based them on?
Old 11-14-2003, 08:45 AM
Nitroaddict

NP - billy, i am also an ex-tech. ASE cert on VW, SAAB. Sorry, alot of times humor doesnt transmit over the internet very well.