Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

OFNA or KYOSHO

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 01:45 AM
johnnyride

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OFNA or KYOSHO

I'M ABOUT TO BUY NEW CAR BUT I'M NOT SURE WHICH ONE IS BETTER OFNA HYPER 7 PBS OR KYOSHO INFERNO MP-7.5 SPORTS RTR. I'M NEW TO THE SCENE SO ANY HELP IS GOOD HELP. I MYSELF HAVE BEEN LEANING TOWARD THE OFNA.

I ALSO HEARD THERE IS A HYPER 7 PCR EDITION RTR. DOES ANYONE KNOW THE PRICE TAG ON THAT?
Old 11-13-2003, 07:34 AM
whitexj
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: OFNA or KYOSHO

i dont own one but have driven them. I like the kyosho but i think in the case of RTR, the ofnas cant be beat. fThe PCR is all that much more. I know you have to put the upgraded parts on yourself though.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:51 AM
Nitroaddict

both are excellent rides. Kyosho has a stronghold on the competition - and currently builds he best car on the market. Ofna doesnt actually build the hyper 7, they import it from Korea and market it here. Both are very good cars, and both have pros and cons. I would strongly recommend going to your local hobby shop and seeing what they carry the most parts for. Since you will eventually break something, you dont want to be stuck waiting for the parts to arrive.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:24 AM
bigjdubb

The LHS factor should play in heavily in your choice. This is the main reason I am going to go with an Inferno for my next buggy. I like running the Ofnas because not as many people run them (racing at least) but the LHS I support carries more Kyosho than Ofna because thats what sells. I have not had the pleasure of driving a Hyper 7 yet, but the Inferno is way better than my MBX on the track.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:30 PM
johnnyride

which car do you think has a better rtr package since i dont want the hassle of building it right off the bat. plus i only want to spend about $600 to get started. i will invest more later when i learn some more about racing. did i mention i do plan to race
Old 11-13-2003, 12:49 PM
Nitroaddict

johnny - asking which is better is like asking which is better - ford or chevy. they are both great in their own right. I personally think the kyosho is better, but u will hear plenty others say that the Hyper 7 is better. its all a matter of choice.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:16 PM
Capablanca

Hi Johnny,

Go with Kyosho, it's fast and very durable.

Our LHS told me that ou can also upgrade it to the regular Inferno MP 7.5 if you like,......and if you have the money ;o)

OFNA products are made in Taiwan/Korea. Kyosho are made in Japan, I believe you know how "strict" the Japanese are when it comes to Quality.

And as what "bigjdubb" has said, The LHS factor should play in heavily in your choice......just imagine buying $5 parts and paying for shipping.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:38 PM
dagass

Johnny,

I agree with Nitroaddict, it's all really a matter of preference. I'm an Ofna guy but not so much so that I will put down another buggy just because I like Ofna products. As far as speed and durability, Ofna is every bit as fast and every bit as durable as the Kyosho product. The fact that one is made in Taiwan and one is made in Japan is of no consequence. Line the two up and run them both into a wall at full speed. They will both reach the wall at roughly the same time and they both will break.

I also agree that parts availability should play a role in your decision. It stinks to wait 3 or 4 days for a 2.00 part that you have to pay 3.00 shipping on. If your LHS supports both the Ofna and the Kyosho buggies equally, flip a coin, take it home and have fun!
Old 11-13-2003, 10:50 PM
johnnyride

thanks everyone. i talked to a few LHS and im gonna go with the kyosho.

another question i have is can anyone tell what hop ups are a must have , before i go buy my new kyosho this weekend.[sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 11-13-2003, 10:52 PM
dagass

Hi Torque servo and a rechargeable pack. That should be enough to keep you going strong.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:58 PM
johnnyride

the rtr kyosho said it comes with a hi torque steering servo. or do you think stronger
Old 11-13-2003, 10:59 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

yes deffienently get a 5 cell, 4 cell just dont cut it.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:15 AM
studysession

The Kyosho is a higher quality brand when looking at the professional level buggies - but for the RTR's I do not care for Kyosho. For the money unless you are extremely serious about your racing I would go with the Hyper 7 PBS. Any RTR you get, replace the stearing servo with a metal gear high torque servo. That and a fail safe are normally my 1st 2 upgrades on any nitro off roader.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:52 AM
Nitroaddict

johnny - the above mentioned points are perfect. A failsafe and a rechargable nimh rcvr pack are musts. the kyosho comes with a pretty good servo. u can use that for now, and just upgrade when u break it.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:13 AM
bigjdubb

The Kyosho does come with a decent servo. As far as upgrades are concerned, some chassis bracing would be good. The RTR has a rear brace but not a front, so at a minmum I would say get the Kyosho front brace. For a good replacement of the front and rear brace I would go for thr Fiorini braces, very strong and very light. Those two braces will make a marked improvement in your handling. A good rechargable pack would save you some money in the long run and maybe a busted buggy.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:38 AM
RCBOZO
My Feedback: (1)

What is the largest capacity 5 cell 2/3 A cell / pack that you have seen? 1000mah - 1100 mah is about the largest packs I have seen.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:43 AM
Nitroaddict

Team Orion makes one that is 1200ma. But i am a trinity fan, so i use theirs, which is 1100ma
Old 11-14-2003, 10:43 AM
dagass

Nitro took the words out of my mouth. Here's the one I use except it's a stick pack:

http://h1070187.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...?prod=ORI12215
Old 11-14-2003, 12:28 PM
johnnyride

whats a good steering servo. i mean if you guys were to buy one which one would you get. after all you all appear to be very knowledegable people and have been a great help. THIS SITE ROCKSSSSS!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2003, 12:55 PM
Nitroaddict

i personally like the Hitec stuff, but i also use their radio systems. I run the hitec 645BB MG servo for steering in my touring cars, and for both servos in my Buggies.