Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

New Workshop Under Construction NEED HELP

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

New Workshop Under Construction NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Workshop Under Construction NEED HELP

Well I scored big time when we decided to build our new home. Rather than me getting "half the garage" we found plans that had a one car garage on the side (probably for a golf cart) . My wife said go for it[X(] The room is 21x11 ft has a side 6 ft double door. Separate AC unit to keep dust out of the house.

The attached photo's show the plans and the room as it is now. The first issue is lighting and electrical. The plans called for 2 4ft 4 bulb fluorescent lights. That's not enough and I was leaning toward three 8 ft lights but they will hum over time. I could go with a total of six to eight 2 bulb units spaced down the room?

I have a drill press, 4in sander, 4in table saw that I want to have lined up on one side. Will likely add a band saw.

Center building table using a solid core door on base cabinets.

More base and wall cabinets on the wall opposing the the double door and or the back wall. Ideally I'd like to have areas for different work with the tools and supplies stocked there.

Some plane storage but I plan on using the garage for most of that.

I need some ideas about lighting and layout so jump in and post.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18443.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	381714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61114.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	381715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73726.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	381716  
Old 01-05-2006, 07:36 PM
tucker1865
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Workshop Under Construction NEED HELP

First of all...are you building or are you using a contractor? I am a contractor and I would leave the lights until it is finished....hang them from the ceiling. You can test the location of the lights before it is drywalled (use extenntion cords) and then put outlets and wire in the ceiling and then drywall. I would put the lights on a seperate breaker and would provide 20 amp/10 ga. wire for the outlets in the walls. Remember to put them above the bench or worktop next to the walls. It cost more to frame in the light bays and the lights cost more. Also the difuser panels will get dust covered and they will yellow very quickly. I think the hanging fixtures are about 10 bucks at Home Depot. Be sure to put one directly over the table saw and I would add a flexible lamp on the bandsaw and wire it to the switch so it comes on when the saw is turned on. You can get magnetic lamps for this purpose. If you screw the lamp to the bandsaw cover, test it before you make it permanent (no glare) and make sure it illuminates the bandsaw table the way you want it. Mine is done this way. Keep all your power tools in the same area so it is easier to clean up the scraps and sawdust. I would double frame the wall between the bedroom and the shop and put homesote or cellotex between the walls and insulate both sides. You may be working while your wife is sleeping. If you are doing the work, remember that the GFI needs a deeper box than normal. If they are all on the same circuit you only need one GFI closest to the fuse box. You do not need a GFI for every box. Also....solid core door between the kitchen and the shop and it probably should be self-closing. Design an area for storing chemicals, ie paint, resin, fuel or use a metal cabinet. Have a metal container, with top for rags. Think about a dust collection system, The box type is cheapest and can hang from the ceiling....sold at better tool stores or go to Rockler on the web. (google search) If I can be of further assistance you can PM me or leave a message on this thread. Hope I have been of some help.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:40 PM
the-plumber

My shop is 10 X 10 X 18 hip roof design.

I used 6 ea. 4' 2-bulb flourescents, one across the front and one across the rear, and 2 along each side.

On average, pretty good light.

There are times however when I need one or more of the incandescent work lights over the power tool bench or over the work bench to eliminate shadows.

Oh, yeah . . . I painted the walls and ceiling bone white, and the floor is white tile. No such thing as too much light in a workshop.

If you do a search for "shop" or "building room" you'll find a pile of threads here, and on RCG, offering bunches of ideas for outfitting a shop.

Since you have the room, by all means consider a dust collection system with the noisy bits _outside_ the shop, and also consider a powered air filter.

Those two items will be a tremendous help in keeping the shop dust-free.

More shop ideas [link=http://home.mindspring.com/~the-plumber/]here. [/link]
Old 01-05-2006, 08:04 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a few comments. I would add more outlets, and make some of them double. I'd also see what you need to do to get the room classification changed so they don't all have to be ground fault outlets. In addition, make sure you have the outlets on a number of different circuits. This way you can use multiple power tools at one time. Also make sure the lighting is on a different circuit, nothing worse than blowing a breaker and having the room go dark. While the walls are open, make sure to install phone and cable wires.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Rocketman612

Great start!!!

I'm not a contractor but have some construction knowledge(enough to be dangerous)

We are scheduled to have a walkthrough with the electrician next week to go over outlet, switch and fixture locations. So the lighting and outlets need to be set.

I had problems tripping the breaker in a prior house so definately want the room on several circuits. Lighting and one for each side. I want some of the outlets at counter height.

My last shop had the 8ft bulbs with a standard ceiling and the light was great but hummed. I have an old ceiling mounted surgical light I used in the past to "spotlight" a project and was considering using it here. The double jointed arm has a reach of 32in and can move in a 300 deg zone. Previously I centered it in the isle between a workbench and building table and it reached both areas well.

The walls common with the house are to be insulated for sound.

Tucker1865 thanks for the offer. will be getting up with you.

Keep it coming...

Pete
Old 01-05-2006, 08:32 PM
piper_chuck

Just out of curiosity, are you also wiring the house for security? What about cable/satellite, phone, and computer connectivity in each room? If you haven't considered these things, it's worth it. If you are handy, many of these things can be done by yourself since they are low voltage.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Rocketman612

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

Just out of curiosity, are you also wiring the house for security? What about cable/satellite, phone, and computer connectivity in each room? If you haven't considered these things, it's worth it. If you are handy, many of these things can be done by yourself since they are low voltage.
Chuck,

Yes, There is a security system. I am also having the house wired with Eithernet cable to all the bedrooms , Study and to that room just outside the workshop with a built in desk. All the cables will go to a router connected to a cable modem. Phone but no TV. Only a stereo.

Pete
Old 01-06-2006, 12:23 PM
rcted

I am in the process of finishing my own shop. I put the outlets on each wall on a seperate circuit, as well as the outlet for my compressor, and window mounted A/C. I have one side of my bench set aside for my power tools, dremel scroll saw, drill press etc. I found some track lights at Home Depot that are 50 watt halogen lights on flexible "goose necks" that will be mounted above the bench directly above the tools. Just a thought, but my eyes are needing more and more light. Good luck, you're living a lot of flyer's dreams.

rcted
Old 01-06-2006, 01:28 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: Rocketman612
Yes, There is a security system. I am also having the house wired with Eithernet cable to all the bedrooms , Study and to that room just outside the workshop with a built in desk. All the cables will go to a router connected to a cable modem. Phone but no TV. Only a stereo.

Pete
Ok. I ended up with 2 cat 5 (one for phone and one for computer) and 2 rg6 to each room. I've found that in my office that's not enough, I may have to go under the house soon and pull some more cables.

Something else I thought of for the shop. Run a couple circuits that are 20 amp and have only one outlet. These are convenient if you have something that takes lots of amps, or if you end up with something that requires 220, changing the breaker and outlet is all that's required.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:38 PM
KW_Counter

Lots of good ideas, here are a few more.
Stick with 4 foot fluorescent tubes. They are easier to handle than 8 footers.
Also, easier to get them home from the store. Easier to get rid of when they burn out.
There are two common types, T8 and T12. One is an instant on - nice.
I put several outlets in the ceiling and plugged in the lamps, then I could move them or add more if needed.
All of my lamps had pull chains to make it easy to turn specific ones on or off as needed.
There were 2 master switches by the door, one for lights and one for fans.
Consider some ceiling fans. My 10 x 20 shop had two - mostly because they were leftovers.
I really enjoyed having them in the Summer.
Make sure you have a 220 outlet. You never know when you may need it.
Lots of outlets on all walls - 20 amp - ground faulted.
If wired properly you only need one GFIC outlet per circuit.
Make sure your A/C unit is also a heater. I lived in the Imperial Valley of Calif.
125F Summer temps were common, Winters were worth it, so I didn't think I needed it.
The one I bought had it and I was glad in the Winter. Didn't use it much but it did take the chill off.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 01-06-2006, 04:31 PM
tucker1865
My Feedback: (6)

I can't think of anything you would use that would take more than 20 amps in your shop. I run my Table Saw on 220 (4 hp motor) but everything else is on 110/120. That includes a 20 gallon compressor, band saw, lathe, drill press, planer, jointer, chop saw, radial arm saw, 6 X 48 belt sander, and a 3/4 hp motor mounted as a drum sander, router table, grinder (large), scroll saw, 2 large dust collectors wire to come on when the machine is turned on, 2 outlets at each bench (2) and several outlets around the walls, including 2 or 3 above every cabinet, both at bench level and at the standard floor location and 9 hanging lights.
My shop is a 3 car garage with a wall between the doors so I have a place (1 car size) that is fairly dust free from the machines. I have lights under each hanging cabinet (4) and standard lights at the lathe, bandsaw, router table and sander, and I never trip a breaker. You can use 15 amp breakers on the light circuits with no problem. I have an auxilary panel (50 amp) mounted inside the shop with all the circuits I need. Just read the number of amps a machine/motor draws, for instance my drill press has 1 hp motor at 7.5 amps and probably the same for the lathe. I never run those two at the same time so they are probably on the same circuit. However, remember that a motor surges when turned on and will draw almost double the amps (I believe) So think about usage, add up the amps per circuit and double the largest tool/motor on that circuit and do the math. If the drill press was on a circuit by it self, you only need a 15 amp circuit breaker/14 ga wire. I never use 15 amp in any house/re-model I do, You don't save enough to make it worth while. It is all 20 amp, 12 ga. wire and 220 for electric stove/oven, dryer and FAU and Air conditioning unit. I made a map with amps needed before I wired the shop and drywalled when done. You might want to mount a 4 X 8 sheet of celotex (cheap) on one wall to pin blueprints to. If the walls are shear paneled (plywood best or OSB) you might want to cut some holes for a vent system you may wish to add later (spray booth or ventilation fan.) Just rember where they are so all you have to cut is the drywall. Let me know if I can be of some more help.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Rocketman612

Update,

Met with the electrician. The workshop will be all 20amp/12g wire. Seperate breakers for AC, lights and one for each side of the shop.

Will be using 4ft 2 bulb units three on each side and one over the bench at the far end on a seperate switch. If it's not enought I can swap out the 2 bulb for a 4 bulb unit later.

Most of the outlets will be cabinet height. No GFI needed since it's not considered a garage by our codes in this area.

Will post more photo's as work progresses. The double door and window were set so it's dried in.

Pete