Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

NORVEL .049 HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 09:27 AM
walleye5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NORVEL .049 HELP

Have decided on a Norvel .049 for 1/2 a's to be built.

To save phone time, etc., can anyone help me with the differences of the following:
BIG MIG .O49 C/L
B1G MIG .049 START-UP
AME .049
Do all 3 have integrated tanks? Are all 3 suitable for both "beam" & "radial" mounting on c/l planes?

Thanks alot!

Bob

Old 05-12-2006, 09:58 AM
CLpilot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NORVEL .049 HELP

Not sure who is still selling the 049 but I found a pretty good deal for the .061.

http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro....0.265.0.0.0.0

As for the AME, Big Mig Start up, and the Big Mig CLX. From what I understand the AME is more of a Combat engine needing a tank with pressure feed. The Startup engine is supposed to be OK as a Sport flier and the CLX is more of a stunt engine. All 3 can be beam mounted without the tank.

Jay
Old 05-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Phlip

The Big Mig Start-up also includes a spring starter.

Phil
Old 05-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: walleye5

Have decided on a Norvel .049 for 1/2 a's to be built.

To save phone time, etc., can anyone help me with the differences of the following:
BIG MIG .O49 C/L
B1G MIG .049 START-UP
AME .049
Do all 3 have integrated tanks? Are all 3 suitable for both "beam" & "radial" mounting on c/l planes?
Bob --

The Big Mig .049 C/L (CLX) and Startup are the same engine and tank mount with the exception that the C/L version has the pick-up tube placed in the lower righthand corner of the tank and the Startup has the tube located centrally in the tank, for R/C use.

The difference between the Big Mig and the AME is in the porting -- the AME is open ported with 3 large oblong intake ports and the Big Mig has 5 smaller round ports. The AME is less user friendly, is designed for a higher topend and can be more difficult to breakin and tune, if you get a good one. The Big Mig is the sport version and will more than meet your needs. If you were flying combat or speed, then the AME would be preferred. The engines appear identical outwardly and you must either remove the head or look in the exhaust port to count the intake ports to differentiate between the two.

I would not recommend the .049 since it has been discontinued and parts will become more and more difficult to locate. As Jay noted, all the NORVELs have beam style mountings and may be mounted on a commercial radial mount or on plywood or hardwood beams. The .061 and .049 weigh the same, but the .061 displaces about 20% more and is the current production displacement.

The NORVEL tank mount is designed to run with pressure and I have found that engine performance is more consistant with pressure, regardless of the tank type. They will run without pressure. However, one of the AME models shipped with a large diameter venturi that required pressure to run at all. Your pressure options are to use the muffler tap or to use a tapped backplate -- for general flying, the muffler tap is adequate, but pressure is more consistant with the backplate tap. Open venturi AME's perform better with the backplate tap.

A 6x3 is the maximum prop size for these engines -- the AME, because of a higher top end, actually performs better with props in the 4.75 to 5" diameter. The COX 5x3 black nylon (rubber ducky) is an excellent prop, hooks up well with both engines and can take a considerable beating without breaking. Props and other engine items can be purchased from Larry Driskill at [link=http://www.kittingittogether.com]Kitting It Together[/link].

The NORVEL plant was relocated a few months back and engine stocks here in the US are being depleted. SIG Manufacturing is the US importer and their Tech Support is continuing to assure the 1/2A crowd that production will soon be back up to previous levels.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:15 PM
walleye5

Andrew,

Thanks alot for detailed response. I follow you on the porting, the prop info is very helpful as well. I will keep you posted, when I get off the ground. So many hobbies, and you know how it is when you are trying to get your feet wet in one, (again), you simply must pick brains and combine all data to come out a bit further ahead than attempting to go it alone.

Much appreciated.

Regards,

Bob
Old 05-15-2006, 04:49 AM
Wayne C

walleye5, your statement about picking brains caught my attention. There was an old Disney movie called "Song of the South" which seems to have fallen out of favor with many people for various reasons. In that movie a character makes the statement that "There's more ways of learning about the hind feet of a mule that getting kicked by them." I think about that often, realizing that when we can learn from other peoples experiences we can save a few bumps and bruises of our own. Asking questions of experienced people is an excellent way to get a leg up on the knowledge curve. But then, you already knew that.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:59 AM
walleye5

Yes Wayne, working as a CNC machinist, in the manufacturing world, I find myself @ times wanting to tell certain design people to:
"Quit blowing on the fur and get to the hide!!

ORIGINAL: Wayne C

walleye5, your statement about picking brains caught my attention. There was an old Disney movie called "Song of the South" which seems to have fallen out of favor with many people for various reasons. In that movie a character makes the statement that "There's more ways of learning about the hind feet of a mule that getting kicked by them." I think about that often, realizing that when we can learn from other peoples experiences we can save a few bumps and bruises of our own. Asking questions of experienced people is an excellent way to get a leg up on the knowledge curve. But then, you already knew that.