Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Custom hill climb clod ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 06:38 PM
Umassot50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom hill climb clod ?

thanks to those that replied i made some changes so my post so its easier to read hopefully i can get some better feed back.

Some background

I used to race clods on ovals and street courses. I know that sounds odd but my LHS put on these races and there were lots of fast trucks. My truck was pretty sick it was originally a zilla 3 chassis but now only shares maybe one original part of the zilla chassis. Its all custom machined with a sick adjustable cantilever suspension. I could cut a right angle corner at top speed about 35-40 in race trim, and it would corner it flat and loose little speed. It would not tip over. This is on pavement with slick tires.

Picking the chassis

So anyway that was just the back ground. I havent competed in about 4 years and have lost touch with the industry and what type of parts are available. I have jps boxes and all else was custom designed or made by me. so i always wanted to build a hill climb truck for the sand pits by my house. so i was wondering what kind of design elements you guys think should be considered when i design my chassis. my current chassis is for road course /ovals. there are no chassis currently available that would satisfy my requirements. I was think it should be low and slightly longer than any normal clod. the chassis should hold at least 12 cells comfortably maybe more. I was thinking long rear 4 link and short front 4 link I want as much battery weight as possible over the front axle.

Axles and drive train

Axles will be jps twin engine gear cases front and rear thats 4 motors total. Front gear case will be turned around so that engines are in front of axle again for more weight over the front axle. Rear axle tubes will be custom made single piece tubes that eliminate the steering knuckle and will be designed to run the old sassy chassis single piece axles. Difs will be replaced with those aluminum locker gears that are now available. should I run all aluminum gears or steel gears to cope with the high load of two engines and 12 + cells. I was thinking of adapting over to use t maxx rims so i can use all the nice paddle tires that are available for maxx's. Are the T maxx tires large enough to handle the traction ill need. Front wheels will be widened out and rears will be stock or narrow. idea there is when the front tires pass over the sand there gonna dig trenches so I want the rear tries to have fresh undistrubed sand to ride on.

Engines cooling and esc's

what engines should i use i was thinking about 4 astro flight top fuel cobalt drag motors. I need some type of sealed motor all cooling of the motors will be done using dry ice and heat sink chambers to hold the dry ice. I did this on my old race engines and after 20 laps of WOT the engines are just warm to the touch. now for the electrics. what will handle all this power. i used to use super roosters and 10 cells but i would probably need two super roosters to have any chance of keeping them together. Old tekin titans or maybe some vintage turbo zetas would do.

misc

I have over 100 verticle feet of sand to climb here and no less than 30 degree angles so every thing will be chosen and designed to provide maximum effort. What batteries should i get. I was thinking of Hi capacity sub c cells for there incredible discharge power potential but they would only last maybe 2 runs. and at 12 plus cells per pack the cost of batts is gonna add up. any ideas on chassis material carbon aluminm titanium ?. The suspension will be custon design and will be like nothing else currently available. Its top secret actually. Rims will probably be nylon or maybe ill need aluminum bead locks. What body should I get I always liked the esp car type bodies. I probably forgot something but hope to get some good feed back.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:02 PM
Overalnd

Default RE: Custom hill climb clod ?

Grammer is your friend!
Old 04-15-2004, 10:40 AM
Umassot50

Thats the best responce you can come up with huh.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:00 PM
popuptoaster

dunno about him, but i only got about 4 lines in before it got to hard to read. It dont even have to be correct grammar, just as long as there are some gaps in it!!
Old 04-15-2004, 03:50 PM
Element

A good setup would probally be:
Ripper Chassis (not to flimsy but enough to form with the sand)
Paddle tires
Super Rooster esc
dual 17t mtors or if you want more tourq. go with mayhems

Sorry I couldnt read it all my eyes started to hurt next time space some every paragraph.

Glad to see another Clod owner on RCU