Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Brushless question SPEEDMUNKEY!!!! And admin!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Brushless question SPEEDMUNKEY!!!! And admin!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 11:36 PM
shredder111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless question SPEEDMUNKEY!!!! And admin!!!

Speedmunkey I think u could help me here. How many cells can a novak brushless handle volts to you think 24-28-32 cell maybe? I am skeptical of even 28 but just wondering planning on doing a speed dragster as you saw in my post below this one. Also what should I start gearing out with? the dragster will roughly be 2-3 inces wide so in a 16 inch lenght of three inches I could fit maybe 17-20 cells but this is not including space for receiver esc and motor and trans. Servo I can add extra two inches or three up front and I am reading up on aerodynamics of bodies and spoilers from Barnes and Nobles so I'll figure the rest out later. Heres what I have so far:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85175.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	233394  
Old 02-22-2005, 11:38 PM
shredder111

Default RE: Brushless question SPEEDMUNKEY!!!! And admin!!!

Let me know what you think. I am free to any ideas. I guess its a coustom dragster a little. But Im basing it off of different ones I have seen on the internet.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:41 AM
aliens8mycow

The novak brushless will only handle 7 cells max (8.4v). If you wanna run a mountain of cells, you're gonna have to step up to a better brushless system.

...and if you want to build a competitive dragster, brushless won't cut it anyway. You'll need a brushed motor and a microswitch instead of an esc. By the time your esc figures out what it's doing, the guy in the other lane with a microswitch will be done.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:01 AM
shredder111

So where can I get low turn motors? are you suggesting 2-5 wind or 6-9 wind or maybe a 1 wind? How many cells can it roughly hold?
Old 02-23-2005, 12:30 PM
aliens8mycow

Check these guys out: http://www.grandmotorsports.com/

Lots of drag car info, and they sell some of the best motors you can buy for drag cars. They also sell microswitches.

Keep in mind that if you're going to race in sactioned events, you'll need to make sure that whatever car you build meets the requirements of the particular class that you want to compete in. That will dictate how many cells you can run, length/width of the car, weight, etc. You'll also need some top of the line batteries and a comm lathe - you will not only need to cut the comm on every run, but the motor's state of tune and traction are about the only things that control whether you win or lose.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:10 PM
shredder111

What is the exact point of a micro switch and how does it work?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:38 PM
aliens8mycow

It replaces the esc in a drag car. The esc (as you well know) allows for control of the voltage flowing into the motor, and a little bit of software for brake and reverse. A microswitch is just an instant on with full voltage. That's why it's important to get your traction and weight distribution under control - there's no easing into the throttle!
Old 02-23-2005, 08:55 PM
shredder111

wait so once you hit the throttle you can only do one thing? Brake?
Old 02-24-2005, 01:05 AM
aliens8mycow

The gms site that I linked for you has a diagram for how to wire one switch (go) or wire 2 switches (go and stop). To answer your question, yes - green light go full throttle, cross the line and hope it stops in time. The key is getting the electrics layed out so that you keep the front end down and the rear planted too. Motor tuning is essential. Soak the rear foams in traction compound, and go!

In the 2 seconds that it takes to make a run, that $200+ motor will be cooked, and begging for a comm cut and some brushes. This is one of the more expensive ways to enjoy rc.