Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Alternate Wing mounting options

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Alternate Wing mounting options

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 01:00 AM
Kevlar
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alternate Wing mounting options

I have a Model Tech .60 P-51 that requires 4 bolts to hold the wing in the fuse saddle. Trouble is, the person I got it from drilled the bolt holes at such a wierd angle it's difficult for me to line up the lock washers on the bottom, and I can't use pliers as that would level them off. Still a kit and hasn't had any work done to it....well except the lock washers.

Do I have any other options here? Say dowels in the front and monkey with the rears bolts, or cut away the existing supports, redrill, blah, blah, blah. :stupid:
Old 05-02-2003, 01:54 AM
Giant Scale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without looking at your setup it is kind of hard to tell you the best way to solve the problem. If the wing was designed to be held on by four bolts I would stick with this method. The reason you are having a problem is that the person you got the plane from didn't drill the holes properly. I would replace wood as needed and redrill the holes at the proper angle.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:36 AM
CafeenMan

I agree with Giant Scale. Just get it right or you'll have to hassle with it every time you mount the wing.

You may be able to drill it out and glue in a length of dowel to plug the hole instead of replacing the whole thing. It would be helpful if you could post a couple images with the bolts sticking out so we can see what's going on.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:27 AM
SDR-Hammer

Personally I would incorporate a dowel system. I’ve currently have a plane with four bolt wing mount (done by somebody else and not very well) that I’m going to convert at the next opportunity. I feel it’s a bit simpler bolting the wing on every time with a dowel system.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:26 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm with the first two...

Plug holes with dowels, and redrill.