Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

CHEAP INSURANCE!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

CHEAP INSURANCE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 03:01 AM
mrmac1942

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHEAP INSURANCE!

I recently had my Nexstar trainer fly out of sight due to pilot error .... MY ERROR!

After initial training with the help of the RealFlight Simulator and RealLive instructors, the training flaps and wing slats were removed and I completed a dozen or so solo flights. I was starting to get comfortable, gaining confidence with each flight.

I was alone at the field that day ... probably because the winds were around 15-20 mph and somewhat gusty. I knew the winds aloft would be stronger but I figured I could handle it. The airplane of course doesn't care about wind I thought, (as long as it's not shear) because once airborne, it becomes part of the wind!

Then it happened.

At about 300 feet I turned downwind and somehow was momentarily distracted as the Nextstar raced fiercely downwind at astonishing speed. Suddenly, before I could react, I couldn't see it anymore .... my aircraft disappeared somewhere over yonder in the camouflaging sky of many shades of gray, blue and white ..... perhaps never to be seen again.

Losing airplanes is nothing new .... in my youth my passion was free-flight and many models were lost. Now in my second childhood, the thrill of the chase has long since worn off. I took some comfort however, in the fact that I remembered to put my name, phone and AMA numbers on the airplane ..... CHEAP INSURANCE!

Sure enough, much to my amazement, as I gathered my stuff to leave the field ..... MY CELL PHONE RANG!! Within minutes I was reunited with my engine (still warm), radio and landing gear. Not surprisingly, the Nexstar was reduced to shrapnel. The aircraft was found a mile away in a forest preserve clearing .... I thought, thank God no one was hurt!!!! I wonder if the AMA insurance will cover loss of my aircraft.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:03 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: CHEAP INSURANCE!

ORIGINAL: mrmac1942
I wonder if the AMA insurance will cover loss of my aircraft.

Nope.

Good lesson learned. On windy days, you're at the mercy of mother nature - and she's not very merciful!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:28 AM
digital_trucker

15-20 MPH winds are a favorite of mine to fly my 1/2A Q-Tee in (3-channel). I can get some awesome aerobatics out of it...the catch being that I can't allow it to get too far down-range. As long as you can fly forward faster than the wind is blowing you're good to go. Obviously you don't want to lose your orientation or it's cross-country time!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:30 AM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hateto hear about the loss of your plane- at least you were able to get everything back. Also I could only make another observation - never fly alone. A second set of eyes never hurts and from a safety point of view - that meat cleaver on the front of the plane can be very mean on windy days if it gets the chance to bite you. I know that I might get flamed for this, but I still recommend putting bright neon strips (about 6" wide) on the top and bottom of the wings (especially if they are white) . Makes the plane look ugly, but I know from experiance that it helps to keep the plane from disappering in the sky.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:43 AM
speedair

Most of us have lost planes. Its a lesson we all learn. Thank fully i have only lost one. I fly in 20 knots easy. Thats the best weather to fly an easy pigeon. check out my videos if you want to see flying during windy conditions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1qpHnS8aPY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CJQEGBFHx0
Old 10-31-2008, 08:54 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Same thing happened with we juiced my brothers AXE heli up with a bigger Lithium Battery. It didn't seem too windy until I got it above the houses and the trees, and wham the wind caught it like a kite and took it about 3 blocks away before I could tell what I was doing. Just cut throttle, let it drop below the trees, juiced the throttle a few times hoping it wouldn't hit too hard, and went for a search.

Found it unscathed in a yard behind a boat... I was lucky. Glad you got your plane back, sorry it was destroyed.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:44 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mrmac1942

I wonder if the AMA insurance will cover loss of my aircraft.

AMA insurance is liabilty ONLY. And it ONLY kicks in after the "victims" have drained every other means of your other insurance and assets. It's a big joke, just like all other insurance out there. The only thing insurance companies insure, is THEIR bottom line.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Bigshark

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not that anyone cares but as an 11 year veteran life health and property casualty insurance agent, I'd have to take issue with you. The big problem for us in the insurance industry is that everyone would like everything to be covered for a minimal premium. Sadly, life doesn't work that way.

For a high enough premium AMA could cover physical damage on crashed planes. The problem is that no one would want to pay $1500 a year for AMA insurance.

Not accusing you of it but AMA bashing on this site gets kind of rediculous
Old 10-31-2008, 02:28 PM
mrmac1942

Thanks for your suggestions!

My eyes aren't what they used to be (I'm 66) .... from now on I'll never fly alone.

The contrasting stripes are a good idea, too! I'm also looking into getting some sort of strobe system.

Regards,

Mr Mac

PS. The OS .46fxi engine, which augered in several inches, was disassembled and thoroughly cleaned.
It still runs great!! A rugged engine, indeed!

Old 10-31-2008, 02:33 PM
mrmac1942

Thanks for your note .....
Glad you found your chopper! Did you have your name on it .... just in case?
Regards
Mr Mac
Old 10-31-2008, 03:40 PM
Laird SS

Consider using yellow as one of the major colors on the wings. That color will stand out in most cloud/sky conditions, whereas, white will tend to blend in with clouds if the light isn't strong. Also, try keeping your patterns relatively small so that your plane doesn't get so far away.

As for someone else saying that AMA insurance being a joke. I don't think you'd feel that way if you were in the middle of a lawsuit regarding some damage that your plane had caused. Granted they only pay after everyone else does, but at least there is something available. That's much better than having nothing.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Villa

Hi mrmac1942
I'm 72 and fly 3-4 times every week. All of my planes are yellow and red now. Recently I decided to always make the wings yellow, at least on the leading edge. I have one with red wings. I find it a little difficult, particularly with gusting winds, seeing the wings clearly under some conditions during the landing. If I ever lose sight of one of my planes and have given up on it, I have decided (if I can still think clearly) to cut throttle and put it into a spin. It may come straight down nearer to the last place you saw it than if you do nothing.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Our insurance A joke??? Only until you really need it. With pay outs what they are today how long do you think your home owners is going to last?? I used to always fly alone, it was that or not fly at all. Anymore it's one of the things I try to avoid, can't always avoid it but I try. When left to myself almost all my planes are yellow and then contrasting colors like red or black. A lot of contrast on the bottom!! I'm color blind but yellow really shows up well. Yesterday everyones planes were very hard to see, mine stuck out like A sore thumb!!