Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Engine run on ....

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:49 AM
djmarch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine run on ....

Engine run-on... Fuji 32EI

I have a Fuji 32 EI on my GSS and it flies extremely well. However, I cannot stop the idle with my trim tab. The throttle is completely closed but it still runs on ....
It is an extremely low idle but it still will not stop idling until I flip the manual kill switch. I do not have a remote kill but it should still stop with the throttle closed.
Does anyone out there have any experience with this kind of issue. The Fuji 32 EI is new and I have just finished running about a gallon through it.
Please advise

thanks in advance
Old 08-11-2008, 12:54 PM
wjvail
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine run on ....

Are you SURE the throttle is completely closed? The idle stop screw is back out all the way right? They will NOT run without fuel and or air. Your engine is getting both from somewhere.

Bill
Old 08-11-2008, 01:49 PM
djmarch

I checked the idle stop screw as you suggested and it appears it may have been slightly open (almost undetectable). I let it out 1/8 th turn and will see at the field what happens.
Thanks for your suggestion. I had already let it out but did not adjust any further thinking it was closed enough.
You probably have it spot on.
thanks and will advise
Old 08-11-2008, 08:24 PM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

Remove the idle screw. This isn't a weedeater plane is it? Thats what the servo is for. And screwing the idle screw in will only increase idle rpm by the way. Thats how they work!
Secondly why are you not running a kill switch? Thats kind of mandatory for club field safety. Otherwise, As you are taxi'ing your plane back to the pits your mates deserve the instant shut down a kill switch will provide.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Kimhoff
My Feedback: (22)

If you look at the throtlle butterfly you will see a small hole. Solder this shut and you problem will be eliminated.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:05 PM
krproton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most guys completely remove that tapered "stop" screw altogether. Also, sometimes engines will "run on" if they're hot (lean) on the low end needle. But I bet you solved it when you backed out the screw jsut "that much more." I bet she quits when you get to the field tomorrow (when you lower the throttle stick all the way!).

Good luck.

Tim
Old 08-11-2008, 11:16 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

remove the idle screw, as others have said, that is the first thing I do on any engine I put in my planes