Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

After eight months in the hobby

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 08:19 AM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default After eight months in the hobby

After eight months in "the hobby", I've learned...

1. If I ever decide to race, it will be simply for the fun of it. I'm too concerned about my competitive spirit making a large(r) dent in my wallet.</p>

2. I'm excited as to what my Savage X 4.6 will bring to "the hobby", as I'm wanting the ultimate bashing machine. I plan to break him in next weekend.</p>

3. If Traxxas is such a great product, why do I not read about their drivers winning professional races? This is a serious question, not being a smart-*****.</p>

4. Clutch spring tools are great.</p>

5. I'm very much on the fence as for my next vehicle. I know the answer is: "it depends on what you want to do", but I'm unsure of what I want to do.</p>

6. I wish I knew more people "in real life" who are in to the hobby. Those I know are newbies with RedCats/Exceeds who are falling out of the hobby due to the poor quality of those vehicles.</p>

7. The XRay RX8 has suddenly become my dream car. WOW!! Just unsure if the investment is worth it to a non-racer. In the end I know I won't be able to contain myself, and be one of the few who buys one for driving up and down the street and in parking lots around town. (See #5)</p>

8. I'm ready for my first "build", and will soon open a can of worms inquiring about RTR vs kits.</p>

9. I still have no interest in electric. No offense to anyone, just a preference.</p>

10. This is still an expensive hobby. I've yet to tally, but imagine I've dropped 3k in the past eight months.</p>

<span style="color: #ff0000">History:</span>
<a target="_blank" href="http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10966693/anchors_10966693/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#10966693"><font color="#00265e">After two months I learned....</font>
<font color="#00265e">After three months I learned....</font></a>
<font color="#00265e">After four months I learned....</font>
<font color="#00265e">After five months I learned...</font>
After six months I learned...
</p>
Old 09-15-2012, 11:57 AM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: After eight months in the hobby

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

10. This is still an expensive hobby. I've yet to tally, but imagine I've dropped 3k in the past eight months.
thats the truth

my 37dollar ofna roller so far is going to be atleast 300bucks to get back upand going and thats not counting a RX and servos

but its fun breathing life back into somthing</p>
Old 09-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Stick to the stock classes then. Seriously. As soon as you step up to an open class, your wallet will never recover.
2. Hm...will reserve comment to see what your thoughts are after the first gallon.
3. Because their products are mostly conveniently placed outside the popular racing classes, bar the slash. No competition, no embarrassment. What makes Traxxas great is the product support, what makes them bad is the price and the fanboys.
4. lol.
5. One thing you don't want to do, is get a 1/8th formula and run it up and down the street.
6. Me too.
7. I totally hear ya, but you would be doing yourself a great disservice to run one anywhere but on a track. It will not be fun outside the house, and it will be bad for the car. There is not a more single purpose machine in the hobby. It's like just getting your license and saying...hm, I think I'll get a Formula 1 car for going to the shops and back. Please, please, don't do it unless you are at least going to run it on a track (not necessarily competitively, even if just for your own enjoyment). They really are like F1 cars, you HAVE to drive them with extreme balls, if you go into a corner too slow, just like F1, you won't have enough downforce, they are supremely difficult to drive 'well', and when driven badly look very mediocre. At least get a proper racing 1/10th first, like the NT1, and then when you are good with it (on a track), consider picking up a 1/8th formula. The best 1/8th formula drivers in the world are the best drivers in the world. Lamberto Collari=God (and guess whose car he just switched to).
8. Xray NT1 if you fancy something on-road that you can run outside the house and at the track. IF you are going to run on regular roads though, get a supply of belts and pulleys.
9. None taken, it wasn't until I moved to a capital city and had no choice, that I started to appreciate electric. It does offer 'different' thrills to nitro, though is no less thrilling. You'll come around one day, probably when you see someone running a 6S truggy.
10. Tell me about it.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:20 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Foxy

7. I totally hear ya, but you would be doing yourself a great disservice to run one anywhere but on a track.
Yea, I'm starting to realize this; thus my trepidation. I've read you need an incredibly smooth surface to run these on (i.e. a "track").
ORIGINAL: Foxy
8. Xray NT1 if you fancy something on-road that you can run outside the house and at the track. IF you are going to run on regular roads though, get a supply of belts and pulleys.
Many thanks. I'll definitely look into that one!
Old 09-15-2012, 08:45 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. I agree, the only thing keeping me away from racing is the thought that I will encounter some elitist types who aren't willing to share knowledge but who are willing to share their unwanted opinions. I've been looking at a few short course trucks but I'm unsure if I want to get one just to go to the one small public track to do laps by myself. I was looking at a Blitz but now the Team Durango DESC210R kit has my eye.

2. Cool, have fun with you're new Savage.

3. Good question. They seem to focus on their sponsored drivers of full size race vehicles, I've never even heard of any of their sponsored RC drivers.

4. If you say so.

5. Same here, if I don't go down the short course route I'll probably end up getting a TT MG4 G3

6. I got the same problem, a buddy of mine bought a mini E-Revo when I got mine a bit over a year ago but he dosen't really show any interest now. The company of like minded people makes everything more fun.

7. Just get it, you know you want to. It might be the nudge you need to get out and do some racing. Maybe I should follow my own advice and get that SCT.

8. I want to build too.

9. Plug and play baby, plug and play.

10. It sure is. I think most people who love the hobby have at least a few grand invested.