Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

home made decals faded away

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

home made decals faded away

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 12:07 PM
rcFp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default home made decals faded away

I made my own decals using ink printer with hp self adhesive paper.
i let the printing dry for a while then used two coats of krylon sprayed varnished over the printing.
it went out beautifully but just for few weeks.
then it started fading away some to a point it became real blurry. i added some more small decals which their self adhesive melted.

it's seems that both the fuel and the sun/heat are to much for such home made decals.
i don't want to give up the option of making such nice decals so i have few Q :
- is krylon good enough for protecting such decals ?
- is there any other way to make home made decals that can holds this tough environment (both color and glue) ?

thanks

p.s
krylon varnish caused the paper to become a bit yellowish instead of pure clear
Old 09-14-2003, 04:20 PM
76.ta
My Feedback: (39)

Default RE: home made decals faded away

get decal paper from micro mart (they have it for laser and ink jet). If you use ink jet they have a setting spray that must be used. after putting it on your plane use a UV protective clear coat . you can get the clear coat at most craft,art stores.
do a test decal to make sure all works well together.
Roy
Old 09-15-2003, 06:32 PM
rcFp

thanks but I have tried some type of decal paper and got the same result.

did someone made his own decals that looks fine for more then few flights and can explain his technique
Old 09-18-2003, 01:34 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My decals still look OK, but I have not had them out in the sun a lot. I used MicroMark Decal paper for a color laser printer. I took my decals on a floppy to the local CopyCat Print shop and hired their color laser. After that I sprayed with Top Flite Clear. But, I have detected a slight yellowing. My decals are 4 years old on one plane and 2 years old on another.

76.TA what did you use to fuel proof your decals? Has it yellowed, etc.?
Old 09-18-2003, 06:03 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used my printer with clear label material, sprayed with Lusterkote clear after the ink dried, and they're just as good as new, your problem may be with Krylon, this brand of paint is one of the worst ones to be used on model airplanes, bad stuff.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:55 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Agree with Walter D. I have been making decals for over 4 years and have always used Lusterkote clear to seal them. I have not experienced any major fading or other problems. I have also used both clear decal paper from MicroMark and clear sticky back transparency sheets from Ravan with equal results.

It could very well be that the Krylon is a problem.

Dan
Old 09-19-2003, 06:52 PM
rcFp

thanks guys but i can't put my hands on a can of lusterkote (not being sold at all).
do you know if their is any other suitable product for that purpose ( is furniture varnish can be used instead ?)
Old 09-21-2003, 08:23 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used varnish before, but it is not clear, it will leave an amber transparancy, it is ok for finishes where ultra clear transparancy is not an issue, and also, because it uses mineral spirits as a reducer, it has a great tendency to run as soon as it is applied.
Rustoleum has a clear in spray cans, but it is not very fuel proof, don't know if you can get it in Italy, talk to some automobile painter, maybe they can steer you in the right direction.