Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

sticky hinge

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

sticky hinge

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 06:45 AM
aimmaintenance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sticky hinge

While assembling the final portion of my "Birdie 10" wing CA managed to find its way to one of the aileron control hinges. (metal rod in a nylon hinge) Needless to say it works pretty hard now. What can you do to dissolve, loosen the hinge. Ive been working at just moving it back and forth for a few days now and it seems to be helping a little. In about a year it might be loose again. To remove the hinge to even access it now would require cutting away a considerable portion of the rear of the wing. Are there any dissolvers or such that can be ran down the metal rod and into the hinge to dissolve the ca.
Thanks
Old 09-16-2003, 12:28 PM
Kaos Rulz

Default RE: sticky hinge

Try a drop, or two of acetone while working the hinge. The acetone will dissolve most of the CA. When building with this type of hinge, I like to coat the hinge pivot with melted Vaseline. I melt it in a spoon and dip the hinge into the liquid. Glue doesn't stand a chance of sticking to the joint. Just don't get the Vaseline on the area you want to glue.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:47 PM
PlaneSmith

I had the same thing happen on my GP extra 300 and after a week of thinking about it I had to bite the bullet and cut out the aileron tubes. If they are stiff then you will have trouble trimming it to fly. Might as well fix it before you fly it rather than the other way around
Old 09-16-2003, 08:43 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try putting a drop or two of oil on the pivot point. Work it a little. Put another drop of oil, and let it set for a few hours. If the oil can work it"s way uner the glue, it should work free.