Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Need Automotive Clear over Duplicolor

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Need Automotive Clear over Duplicolor

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 10:23 PM
cdracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Automotive Clear over Duplicolor

I used duplicolor enamel but the autobody supply store said they don't have a two part clearcoat that I could use for a gloss/fuelproof clearcoat.

Anybody use any ppg or similar automotive clearcoat to recommed that is compatible with cheapo duplicolor bomb can spray paint?

learning the hardway

cdracer
Old 09-18-2003, 01:02 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Need Automotive Clear over Duplicolor

I have used PPg over water based Testors paint with out any problems. I also used it over Krylon, Rustolem, and some off the wall super cheap paint I got from a small hole in the wall hardware store. You may need to do a very lite mist coats, this does not soak the paint with the thinner and cause the paint to blister, crack, run, fish eye, and other wise mess up your paint job.

I did get a little reaction when I sprayed the clear over plastic pin strripping I applied before the clear coat.

All I can really say is to get a can of the clear mixed up and try it and see if it works. You could use the same paint on a scrap of plastic or wood and then spray it and see if it works.

Dru.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:09 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just as Dru says, when using clears over unknown paints or plain enamels, spray just a mist and let dry to be safe (15 to 20 minutes), then proceed with a slightly heavier coat, wait 5-10 minutes and then shoot the final coat.
Good automotive urethane clears have an additive (catalyst) that must be used and require no reducers, the catalyst really helps in speeding up the drying time.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:07 PM
L.R.Rip

cd
duplicolor
cdracer the problem is you used enamel. Most fuel prof clear is catalyzed urethane the quickest drying I have seen is 15 min in a bake booth. even if you put on a light coat first you will really have to wet her down before it is all over and the solvents will go right to the bottom of the paint and probably lift the enamel. If you don't wet the clear good she will be as dry as a pop corn fart and look like some one threw sand in it and you will have to sand and buff to make it smooth.
Next time look for polyester or go epoxy. I have made this mistake before and I hope to never do it again. O wait I think Glazurit or Diamont have a water based clear that should work maybe.I never went over enamel with it tho.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:14 PM
cdracer

Thanks for the words o wisdom.

I am going to try three things.

I did a test the other night with duplicolor clear engine enamel. I only waited a day and it says to wait 5 days but 20% nitro showed zero hazing which has stunned me. I thought at first I put the fuel on an area that wasn't covered with it, but it was spilled on an area with the original duplicolor paint on it, so one of those two held its own for small spillages of nitro. I am a model boater and use 55% nitro so this will be the big and real test on clear coats when i spill some of that.

Other than that I am also going to buy a quart of Concept clear and Utech Clear and see what happens with both as a clear coat on top of Duplicolor. Fortunately for me, if either don't work I have friends who did their paint right by starting off with PPG concept from the get-go so my $$ losses shouldnt be too bad since they are willing to buy what I have.

Of course, if neither of the three works to my liking, my best friend will be sand paper and will use one automotive brand since I have all winter to repaint before the new season starts.

I will post my results here once I have done the testing hoping that at least one of my experiments will be successful and if so, will try to video link the spillage since this would be a great finding.

cdracer
Old 09-19-2003, 08:31 PM
Azcat59

I have done some tests on the DupliColor Clear, and I think it is fuel proof to at least 10% nitro, although I didn't leave it soaked for hours. This was tested after it had dried for at least 4 or 5 days.

Clair