Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic > Carden Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Proper Handling when moving a 35-40% Airplane???

Community
Search
Notices
Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

Proper Handling when moving a 35-40% Airplane???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 08:02 AM
zzw26n
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Handling when moving a 35-40% Airplane???

I recently picked up (no pun intended) a 35% Carden Extra, what's the proper manner by which you pick this plane up and move it?? The bottom is sheeted foam and I'm worried that I could damage it someday. To get the Plane out of the basement and into a SUV, several twists and turns are required to maneuver it around. Just being real careful right now, but didn't know if there was proper position or place to be grabbing this monster.

thanks, zz
Old 04-02-2006, 02:55 PM
Bob101

Default RE: Proper Handling when moving a 35-40% Airplane???

I roll mine out of the trailer.....but if for some reason I have to pick it up I grab one hand on the landing gear below the cuff and the other on the spinner. Works ok on a 35%...not sure it would be so handy on the larger planes.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:24 PM
jjamesrb
My Feedback: (39)

When i pick up my 40% Cardens to get them out of the trailer i grab underneath(the sheeted belly pan and balance with the turtle deck) and have never had a problem.The sheeted foam is pretty strong and i wouldn't worry about damaging it, these things are built like tanks(no pun intended!).
Old 04-03-2006, 08:01 AM
zzw26n

The Trailer is probably the way to go, unhook the bungee cords, pick up the tail and drag her out. If no Trailer, being real careful should keep the hangar rash off....
Old 04-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Bob101

I can tell you from experience that the biggest hangar rash catching area when moving a plane this big (any plane really) is gonna be the rudder and the corners of the elevators.

If I moved it much it all I might think about making me some foam covers I could bungie on or velcro on. When your holding a 35% plane seeing the back edge of the rudder is near impossible and I've dinged my fair of mine.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:46 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

I can tell you from experience also. that i would take my right hand and grab the landing gear. and take my left hand and grab the belly of the plane. and carefully pick it up, and make sure you dont hit the wall with the stab or elevator. otherwise you'll blow the gear's in the servo.

Seeing you dont have the experience to handle this plane yet.....you might want to consider putting a doorwall in the basement and roll it out to the car or truck. this might be the safest way till you get more familar with the plane.

If you have to go up alot of stair's you might want to get someone to help you.

Dennis
Old 04-16-2006, 07:22 AM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

On all Carden's the rear of the motor box is the best place to lift from. I bring my 40% down a flight of stairs (and around a nasty curve) twice a year, and hold it by that piece of wood. I have even suspend the plane from this while weighing it.

Rob
Old 04-16-2006, 07:26 AM
zzw26n

Rob,

How's the CUDA flying ?? Big difference between the 50cc and the 100cc Carden?
Old 04-16-2006, 08:08 AM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

I don't own a 100cc Carden. But I have flown the Extra, Edge and Cap. I own the 150cc 330.

Let's say this. Yesterday I had the Cuda with me, and I was running through the IMAC Unlimited sequence. I said to my Dad I have to bring out my 330 to really get the flow / feel of it, and he said "Take my (35%) 330 through it." It was night and day. I landed with such a smile on my face.

The 330 tracks better, snaps better and presents better. Now in all fairness the 35% I flew was bigger, designed for IMAC, and tuned for over a year. (my 40% I have been tuning for three years). The Cuda's CG is very far back for sequences (and that has a lot to do with it) and I am playing with just doing a rudder to throttle mix (ala Chip).

The Cuda is Kick *** at rolling harriers. And a fun 3D knock around. (plus the 50 just sips gas)

I am looking forward to flying a 260 and a yak to see if they are better than the 330, but I cannot imagine it.

But we are way off topic ....

Rob