Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Dragonfly seperates help!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Dragonfly seperates help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 11:45 PM
fosterchild56
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dragonfly seperates help!

My dragonfly is setup as the following.

370 Century motor
gws 100esc for main
gws 100esc for tail
gws pg-03 gyro
gws edf-40 H
7.4 v e-tech 1200 mAH 2s1p lith-poly battery or 9.6v 750mAh AAA
hitec focus 4 radio

My problem is this.

When I spool up the main motor and the edf40. The heli tracks straight. Give it more throttle to hover 4-5'. the edf 40 on the tail can't hold with the gyro so i give it more rudder, then the edf40 stops all together until I back off abit. By then its a spiral death dive. I have played with the gyro setting but can't seem to find the perfect setting. I have a non-h edf 40 motor coming that is rated for less volts.

I need help! I thought going to an edf tail motor would work. Everyone else is doing it so why is my configuration not working? Thanks. Anyone want to buy a cheap heli??
Old 10-01-2003, 11:53 AM
OmegaDot

Default RE: Dragonfly seperates help!

A few "diagnostic" questions... Is your "death spiral" a right hand yaw? Does the EDF motor speed up slightly as you add TR right stick before it stops, or does it slow down steadily as the stick is moved right? Have you tried swapping the ESC's (seeing that you used the same one for both channels?
Old 10-01-2003, 12:08 PM
fosterchild56

Omegadot, I have swapped both esc. The motor seems to get to max power then shuts off when giving full right rudder on TX. It also yaws to the right. I used the stock motor too, same thing.

As for you fedafan, calling me a bum and an idiot? Do you think everyone needs a Phd. to experiment with their own heli. Look around at other posts. People have the same setup as mine and theirs seem to be working.

You left a bad taste in my mouth with regards to aussies. Mate!!
Old 10-02-2003, 12:13 PM
OmegaDot

Foster,

Looking at your equipment list, I don't see a mixer for the TR. You didn't indicate what Tx you are using. Are you mixing in the main rotor to TR speed there? Somewhere along the line, the speed command for the TR needs to be increased in proportion to the main rotor speed (by some fraction). The gyro only adds or subtracts from that speed to dampen transient yaw accelerations. It can not compensate for sustained TR trim changes (ie: eventually, the helicopter will spin).

Unless I misunderstand your (faulty) setup, you would have to keep adding TR stick along with throttle (ie: move the stick diagonally, assuming Mode II) to be stable.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:11 PM
OmegaDot

Foster,

Sorry, you do mention that you have a Focus 4. So no Throttle/Rudder mixing capability in the Tx. Unless you have a mixer between the Rx Channel 3 & 4 and the Gyro, you will have the problem you describe.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:46 PM
fosterchild56

omegadot,

I used the same setup with the stock main motor and the stock tail motor with no mixing involved. I setup the tail motor normal with esc. It would come on half throttle with the rudder stick centred then the gyro would keep the tail straight with a slight drift to the right. Now with the new setup, power is being robbed from the tail and a little bit from the main.

Thanks for the help, but I am going to go back to a direct drive tail and the 370 main.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:26 AM
smeegarn

Another easy option to solve the lack of mixing is to use a Heading Hold gyro. I got a lightened version from e-flight in the UK fairly cheap and the whole system works really well. My tail is held rock solid using a GWS EDP-50XC and small direct drive prop with no mixing.