Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Who does good props?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Who does good props?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 04:58 PM
philip clemmons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who does good props?

Looking for a prop for my Blackjack with a pro mod 26 zenoah.

Who does good work, knows their stuff, and will work with the customer?

TIA!
Old 11-10-2009, 05:02 PM
dicko

Default RE: Who does good props?

Dasboata
OzSpec Hobbies
CoChro Props

The list goes on. I'd start with Dasboata seeing as though you are stateside.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Chris (Dasboata.com) is as good as anyone out there.

That would be my first choice - and last choice
Old 11-10-2009, 05:16 PM
PEERPSI

Another vote for Dasboata. Incredibly fast, just tell him what you have and let his experience choose the prop.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:21 PM
philip clemmons

I tried to speak with Chris (Dasboata) today.

He wont answer my questions, because "he has a busy job", when I am ready and willing to spend 75-100 bucks on a prop, so I have no choice but to spend my money elsewhere............................

I need some other choices.

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2009, 05:23 PM
nothinbetr2do

here's another vote for dasbota
chris does some nice work, here's a link to his page http://www.dasboata.com/index.php?cPath=22
Old 11-10-2009, 05:36 PM
philip clemmons

Guess everyone has good luck with him but me..............lol
Old 11-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: philip clemmons

I can honestly say I have not heard a single complaint about Chris - I have never had to second guess recommending him.

What was the problem you had? Did you address it with him - if so - did he help to resolve it?
Old 11-10-2009, 06:42 PM
PEERPSI

I tried to speak with Chris (Dasboata) today.

He wont answer my questions, because ''he has a busy job'', when I am ready and willing to spend 75-100 bucks on a prop, so I have no choice but to spend my money elsewhere............................

I need some other choices.

Thanks!
To be honest I've read similar quotes but what people need to consider is the product. In the end he may not be your best friend but you will in all likely hood be happy with your prop. Sometimes people forget that while $100 is a lot of money to them to a business trying to keep afloat in trying times it is but a small amount of revenue in the big picture. What is the real profit on something like that after overhead and paying nearly $40 just for the raw prop.

That said there are many other choices, Warehouse hobbies, Aeromarine, Propworks, Hallam Racing in Canada and I'm sure there are many others.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Dockman

I have a 6717/3 from Dasboata I emailed him a question about it today and he replied back today. I have also used a 6717/3 from Gizmo motors and it worked good also.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:52 PM
philip clemmons

Peersi , justaddwata, and Dockman,

I am a business owner as well. I know he has a lot going on (like all of us) and needs to keep busy. That being said, if I cant get some info upfront (when he has not made the sale yet), I seriously doubt I will get answers down the road. I simply asked what would be the deciding factor between a two vs three blade prop. His response was that he was too busy and would not get into props, either I bought it or I didnt.

I didnt.

I have an engineering degree, and am a two time national drag racing champion (with a 302" ford making 1700+ hp) that I tune and build myself. I teach small engines and auto mechanics at a tech school, and run a performance jet ski shop on my own. I am a very technical person and am fairly knowledgeable about most things, but RC boat props (and strut setup) are two areas I am a little weak in . Bottom line, I always like some info on the "why" I need to spend my money on something. I wont just buy something because I need it, without knowing why.

It was obvious he was in a hurry, as I told him BJ55 and modded engine, and that was it. He didnt ask about pipe band, tuned length, clutch or not, yada yada yada. I felt I needed a little more info before I invested that kind of money. I have no problem spending the money on it, but have a new combo and want to be in the ball park first. I know no two setups are the same, and I want to make the most educated choice possible. After that, its trial and error.l Same thing with converters on the race car, but if you need a 10" and start with an 8", youll never get there....................................

I just want to get this thing right so I can give you guys a run for your money....................engine builder says close to 60 should be no problem, but I'll believe it when I see it!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:18 PM
PEERPSI

More blades less vibration.

Your complaint sounds familiar, I've heard similar. Part of the problem is there is a tendency on a lot of these builders to look down on people that buy boats like the Chinese built Proboat because the hard core boater think little of them and believe in the buy US built ideology. Being as I'm from outside that geographical area it's hard to understand. The math just doesn't make sense when considered at a global level.

I too came from a automotive background, sports car racing not drag racing. I have come across similar attitudes from even the most reputable players in that arena as well.

At the end of the day compared to the money that's involved in a 1/4 mile car or an SCCA race car a $70 prop is peanuts. I expect people like Chris get tired of answering the same questions over and over and draw the line at what for them has merit.

I don't know Chris personally but his product and advice were spot on and delivered as promised on time.

60 MPH from this boat would require not just power but some work on the aerodynamics. Like others have stated it wasn't built to go that fast. When you start to go above 40 it has a hard time deciding if its an airplane of boat. When it chooses to be an airplane, and it does that frequently for no apparent reason, it fails miserably.

I have a CC pro mod with 1" header 2" band pipe in mine. By all accounts one of the more powerful 26CC Zenoah's on the market. Mid fifties every time out now. Bit dicey keeping the sponsons on the water.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Jon DesJardins

If someone can not answer questions for a potential customer that is sad in my opinion.

As a business owner, I always take the extra time to talk to my customers until they are 100% satisfied period.
Everyone is busy at some point, if you are busy you make a note and call or email that person at a more convenient time.

Customer service is what people will remember every time!
Old 11-10-2009, 09:25 PM
gtopillado

I purchased 2 props from "justoying" over at the "Dock" not too long ago. There is always someone over there willing to give you great advice and it seems to have more trading going on with props and other RC boat related items. You should check into it. [sm=surprised.gif]

Hope this info doesn't upset anyone on this forum as I've mentioned RC Universe over there.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:25 PM
philip clemmons

ORIGINAL: PEERPSI

More blades less vibration.

Your complaint sounds familiar, I've heard similar. Part of the problem is there is a tendency on a lot of these builders to look down on people that buy boats like the Chinese built Proboat because the hard core boater think little of them and believe in the buy US built ideology. Being as I'm from outside that geographical area it's hard to understand. The math just doesn't make sense when considered at a global level.

I too came from a automotive background, sports car racing not drag racing. I have come across similar attitudes from even the most reputable players in that arena as well.

At the end of the day compared to the money that's involved in a 1/4 mile car or an SCCA race car a $70 prop is peanuts. I expect people like Chris get tired of answering the same questions over and over and draw the line at what for them has merit.

I don't know Chris personally but his product and advice were spot on and delivered as promised on time.

60 MPH from this boat would require not just power but some work on the aerodynamics. Like others have stated it wasn't built to go that fast. When you start to go above 40 it has a hard time deciding if its an airplane of boat. When it chooses to be an airplane, and it does that frequently for no apparent reason, it fails miserably.

I have a CC pro mod with 1'' header 2'' band pipe in mine. By all accounts one of the more powerful 26CC Zenoah's on the market. Mid fifties every time out now. Bit dicey keeping the sponsons on the water.
I dont think it will see 60, but he thinks its possible based on what he saw out of my old "junk" engine. It is solid as rock at 46 with the whole hull still in the water. I have to play with the strut, props, carb, and pipe length. Also had an exhaust leak. Still have the clutch on their too, and non shaved rudders. This motor is supposed to make as much or more power than any of them, but time will tell. I think low 50s will be for sure(the P-275 is 3-5 mph slow in itself), and after that I dont know.....................

Do you have a pic of the front of your rudders? Did you do it by hand or in a machine? Did you enlarge the pickup holes?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:50 PM
PEERPSI

I sheared them off and then sharped it on a big disk sander. Didn't touch the holes at all. I don't remember how much I cut off but it was around 3/16". It's pretty obvious what needs to be cut when you take a close look at them. Didn't touch the pickup holes, they work fine as they are for me.

Getting the strut height is key. Measured from the bottom of the hull to the bottom of the prop shaft ferrule is the best way to go. Depending on the propellor you use that could be any where from 5 mm to 6.5 mm distance.

If you PM me an email address I can send you a copy of the spreadsheet I made for calculating the strut height and propellor efficency.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

I can honestly say I have not heard a single complaint about Chris - I have never had to second guess recommending him.

What was the problem you had? Did you address it with him - if so - did he help to resolve it?
Actually, I do know of one dis-satisfied customer but he was the rare case. You can't keep everyone happy though.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Justaddwata

Hi Philip,

I am sorry to hear Chris was unable to assist you with your question. I have heard a few affectionately refer to him as Grumpy a time or two. I imagine he has his hands full catching up with orders after the nats.

I agree that it is difficult to get a second chance to make a good first impression. I have forwarded this thread to Chris with hopes he will offer some assistance - as I see it - once a suggestion is in an open forum - it can be found by others in a search of the forum looking for similar answers.

As I mentioned - Chris would be my first recommendation - and my last - a more trusted guy you might never find. I have not dealt with anyone else recently to recommend them in good faith I cannot say I have needed to ask advice for a prop from anyone of late - I just buy them and try them - Might explain my prop wall

I would keep picking Marcels brain - if you review his posts with his BJ55 it sounds like he is pushing his cat near its limits.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:25 AM
dicko

I had an email conversation with chris to get a prop from him today. I couldn't find an in stock prop over here, so I emailed him & within 1/2 an hour I had sent him the money & hopefully will get my prop in the next few days. He can be short with his answers sometimes, but being as busy as he is I understand that.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:21 AM
dasboata

Hi I was out of line,, I have some medical issues and I have good days and bad days, tuesday was a bad day for that reason I don't like to talk on the phone but threw the computer, Phil needed to talk on the phone , and I reluctantly gave him my # he ask me a question and I gave him a crappy answer ,,"that I was to busy", I do 1200 props a year and if I am on the phone no one is doing my work, I suggested a 7015/3 to him and he wanted to know why that prop , that is when I ran out of patients, I apoligize for that I was out of line for best results e mail me, to all that support me, I appricate that very much thank you for that Chris
Old 11-11-2009, 09:19 AM
PEERPSI

Takes a lot of guts to admit you're wrong and own up to your mistakes. Good man.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Tundrahog

Wish Voodoo props would do that. Just got the confimation that my order was shipped. I ordered on 10/15. After 6 emails(3 unanswered) and three phone calls. He still didn't give me a reason why it took so long.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:25 PM
wierd_dragon
My Feedback: (1)

is it just me or does his site not work?....(refering to Dasboata)
Old 11-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Dockman

No wonder he don't have his number on the site.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Dockman

ORIGINAL: wierd_dragon

is it just me or does his site not work?....(refering to Dasboata)
Nope it's not working for me either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.