Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Ok to sheet one side of foam core at a time?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Ok to sheet one side of foam core at a time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 03:17 PM
Ergoflier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok to sheet one side of foam core at a time?

I'll be sheeting my first ever set of foam core wings. Is it ok to sheet one side of the cores at a time, letting them cure completely in their weighted down shucks and then sheet the other side? Logic says this should not introduce any warping but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:45 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ok to sheet one side of foam core at a time?

It will be ok if you use the shucks and a weight, but I don't undrstand why you would want to do one side at a time.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Ergoflier

Thanks for your response, Terry. I am setting up for what-if's. With kids homework, their extra curricular activities, honey-do's and such, I don't know how much time I can commit in a continuous sitting to working on the aircraft. Maybe that is a bad strategy but I just wanted to "chip" away at this building process...you know...get a little done at a time...can't quite get much time to build anymore.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:59 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ergoflier, I just finished a Kougar, which was my first foam wing. I wasn't sure at all of what I was doing with that polyurethane glue, so I did one side at a time on the first half. No problems at all.

The trick is have a UNIFORMLY FLAT surface for the shucks to sit on. I used my two pieces of UltraCote-cutting glass; one above and one below. The weights, government ammunition cans filled with 9mm ammo, sat on top of the upper piece of glass.

All in all, a sheeted foam wing is very nice. It was somewhat of a PITA to do, since I was sorta feeling my way along. But when the time came to sand and cover, man, what a piece of cake. I wouldn't hesitate to do another one. I think the vacuum-bag deal is the way to go, but requires an equipment investment.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Ergoflier

Thanks for your response, Steve. I will make sure I have a nice flat surface to work on...and lots-a weight...no ammo type stuff like you do though <grin>. I kinda figured it'll be a PITA to do, hence my question. Take care.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:33 PM
dicknadine

this works real good if your just going to use a flat sheet-- it will not bend to a curve. works ok on bottom of wing but NOT the top surface, where the curve is. curve the foamcore to shape first, then glue balsa to it. when glue is cured, sand out minor irregularitiesof balsa top surface. dick
Old 04-18-2005, 11:33 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really sure what you're referring to, Dick. The Kougar has a fully symmetrical wing. The shucks are flat on top bottom; therefore, the need for a flat surface to evenly distribute the weight while the skins cure to the cores.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:03 AM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: dicknadine

this works real good if your just going to use a flat sheet-- it will not bend to a curve. works ok on bottom of wing but NOT the top surface, where the curve is. curve the foamcore to shape first, then glue balsa to it. when glue is cured, sand out minor irregularitiesof balsa top surface. dick
? Huh?

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

I think the vacuum-bag deal is the way to go, but requires an equipment investment.
Yep, and once you use vacuum bagging you'll never consider doing it any other way!