Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

xy paint over rustoleum ?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

xy paint over rustoleum ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 07:02 AM
Paternguy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xy paint over rustoleum ?

Anyone try clear coating with epoxy paint over rustoleum ?
Old 04-20-2005, 11:58 AM
ballgunner

Default RE: xy paint over rustoleum ?

Should work just fine. Most Rustoleum is fuel proof by itself. It has a good gloss. If you want to epoxy for reasons other than fuel proofing you probably won't harm the finish.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be very hesitant to do this unless the Rustolium had cured for at least a month or two first. Even then, I believe you will have problems later.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:47 PM
voyager_663rd

as b.g. and r. say, rustoleum is glossy and fuelproof. and needs long curing time. don't bother with anything on top if it.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know of any clear epoxy, most clears are urethanes, polyurethanes, varnishes, enamels and then you have some water based acrylics, I've used all them except the water based ones, which I am starting to dip myself into right now, give the paint about a week to make sure it is fully cured and then you can clear coat it, I would only do this step if the paint scheme has lots of decals and vinyl trims, etc. so sealing that many applications is necessary to stop them from having fuel and dirt sip in under them and have them start lifting, if your finish only has very few decals, etc. just mask off the area that needs the clear and do just those areas, the savings in weight can be considerable. When spraying clear make sure that surface is very clean, at first only spray a very light mist and let dry for 5 minutes or so, then come back with another and after that you can start spraying more heavily, but be careful not to overdo it, runs can ruin your day.
Below are two pictures, as an example, the Chipmunk was heavily clear coated with Urethane (automobile kind) and the Partenavia only the N numbers and few other words were clear coated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40155.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	260753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41158.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	260754  
Old 04-21-2005, 05:28 AM
Paternguy

Beautiful. Was that Urethane over rustoleum ? What brand Urethane ?
Old 04-21-2005, 06:36 AM
Walter D

On the Chipmunk was Dupont Urethane clear, I don't remember which brand I used on the Partenavia, but it was an urethane clear sold in spray cans, today there are so many brand names, for a small job I don't recommend going with the automotive clears, as they are very expensive, but one that is pretty good is Lusterkote found at hobby retailers, now I am starting to have recollections that this is what I used on the Partenavia, what I do is to first spray some test piece, let that dry for a couple of days and then let the area get in contact with raw fuel, to see if there is any reaction to it.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:17 PM
iwannafly

Pretty sure that Lustrekote is a lacquer. Bad news if you use it over an enamel.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Walter D

I don't think so, I've used it many times, lacquers are flat only and dry almost on contact, Lusterkote doesn't react like lacquers.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:52 AM
iwannafly

Walter if you spray it on top of Rustoleum (enamel) it will react and curdle. Try it on a test piece and see. On the Lustrecoat it says it is not compatable with other paints. It drys too fast to be enamel. Call it what you will but it will eat into enamel.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:43 PM
Walter D

But I have, and no reaction whatsoever. Remember that anytime that you are going to be spraying a clear or any other paint over a dissimilar brand (or one that has already cured), one should go with caution, specially when it comes out of a spray can, there are a lot of additives and thinners mixed at different ratios, from experience I've learned to go very lightly on the first coat and once it is dry to the touch, it is ready for another coat and so on until it is fully covered. It is very hard to say with any degree of certainty what goes into these paints of today, the basics still exist, but there are some new innovations in the industry and specific for some special uses, it is always good to hear from all points of view and I believe we should have a forum just for paint and/or finishing related information and gossip, as this is such a vast field!.