Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

really bad radio glitches while running...

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

really bad radio glitches while running...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 11:53 PM
mtwister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default really bad radio glitches while running...

I have a Lanier Laser200 with a Fuji 64 (non ei) that range tests awesome without the motor running. Start her up, and with ant. collapsed it will twitch while standing next to it, walk away and it freaks out. Extend ant. and it only gets slightly better. My throttle linkage is a 2-26 wire with plastic ball ends on each end, so no metal contact with the throttle. My ground wire to the coil runs close to the throttle linkage though, could this be a concern? I also rattled the crystal out of the receiver while breaking in the motor, could it have damaged the crystal? The radio (Hitec Optic 6) works perfect with my 3 other planes. I have a powermaster dual battery system installed,and I bypassed it and still had concern. Any suggestions help, thank you all. Mike.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:06 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: really bad radio glitches while running...

For starters I would change the wire to nyrod for the throttle linkage .Where is your switch,receiver and receiver battery to the engine itself ,all these things needs to be away 12!QUOT! or more on a EI and even with a mag I would still have it away as far as possible.
You shouldn't need to but I have heard of people using a Bosch resistor plug cap in worse case situations with a mag .

A pic of your setup would be really helpful.
But try the linkage before you do anything to drastic
Old 07-22-2006, 12:38 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know what plug the Fuji uses but if it is not a resistor plug but has the product line that would let it be one, get a resistor plug.

You note that the hrottle rod is "2-26". I'll presume you meant 2-56. A 2-56 throttle rod is pretty flimsy and could easily be vibrating bad enough with the engine running to be making contact with some other metal component. Change to a minimum of 4-40. Even then if it's a long run support it in something non-metallic that will prevent it from banging into things.

The problem is only with the engine running, so vibration and not just ignition noise could be the, or part of, the problem. Are all the hardware pieces tight everywhere? Landing gear, linkage connections, motor mounts? What about servo, battery, and switch connections? You have a lot of things to look over and before you try to fly is an absolutely great time to do so.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:11 AM
mtwister

the plug is a Champion, # starts with an R, that would be resistor correct?
Old 07-22-2006, 03:19 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a Ryobi with mag ignition, I experienced lots of interference due to a metal throttle rod, well isolated by plastic ball links. Changine the rod to nyrod eliminated about half the glitches. Wrapping the complete HT cirquit with copper mesh and linking to engine earth eliminated the other half. All the time, radio components were at 30cm (12") from any ignition component. Same thing with Quadra om mag ignition.
The new EI units tend to make us sloppy in our thinking, because they are so well shielded. It never hurts to be on guard for those pesky high voltage radiation peaks.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:57 AM
mtwister

What is an HT circuit? How do I shield this? I also noticed, if I slightly tap on my tx, it causes a very slight glitch. I switched the throttle linkage to a nyrod, with 1" 4-40 rods on each end with the plastic swivel clevises. I will run it today and see what happens. Thanks guys!
Old 07-22-2006, 02:22 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I would guess that there is something wrong with the mag system. I would send it back with an explaination of the problem. I would be very surprised if the nyrod would help any unless as siversufer suggests its metal and banging on some metal
Old 07-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Tired Old Man

"R" is usually used to designate a resistor plug. Out of curosity and not having working knowledge of a Fuji engine and magneto/ignition system, are there any ground wires that are supposed to be connected to anything? If so, are they connected properly and you're certain that the grounding is complete? There is probably a switch used in the line somewhere, are the leads clean and solid or could it be an old switch that has been used on a few different models? That issue comes up a lot. Do you have a bunch of servo extensions with their additional connections in the leads anywhere?

Gassers, and to a greater extent, single cylinder gassers are shakers and if you don't have everything tight, secure, and vibration proof you will encounter problems. Since you "rattled the crystal out of the receiver while breaking in the motor" I would consider replacing the receiver crystal. They should always be taped into the receiver to prevent just such an occurance. That's found in "gassers 101".
Old 07-22-2006, 05:56 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HT stands for High Tension. It is the coil and plug wire which generate pulses of about 20,000 Volts, (including the plug cap). It must be completely shielded and the shield must be connected to earth.
Some dispute is going on if both ends must be connected. I did, and it works fine.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:57 PM
mtwister

The Fuji has a single wire lead out of the mag, that I have running to a new, single throw switch, which has a lead that is bolted to the motor mount. The more I play with this, the more I am finding my problem is with my TX. With engine off, I can get things to "whack out" by tapping the tx. I can make the glitch come and go at will now by doing that. I will contact Hitec on Monday. All the servos, batteries everything is no less than 14" from the motor. I have a friend offering me use of a new Futaba radio system, and I will swap that in and see how it goes. Thanks again everyone.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Tired Old Man

Befroe you send the tX back, try replacing the Tx crystal if it is not a synthesized unit. They get bumped about quite a bit and most pay little attention to it. The crystals (in any makers tx) are known to jsut suddenly give up ocasionally. That or a small crack in a crystal can drive you nuts looking for something in the plane. Also try extending and completely cleaning the antenna. Last thing to look at is the antenna connection inside the Tx case. That's about all the easy, do at home, stuff.