Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Watercooled engine in a car...NEED YOUR HELP

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Watercooled engine in a car...NEED YOUR HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 01:14 AM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watercooled engine in a car...NEED YOUR HELP

hey guys,

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3374232/tm.htm

I want to put a G260PUM engine on a 1/5 scale car, and since most of you here run water cooling on your boats, i want to know if it really works...if it really cools the engine
I need to buy a new engine for my car and i want to try a watercooling...engine/radiator/pump and all that good stuff

i know some of you have experience with them, please help [8D]
Old 09-20-2005, 05:54 AM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

Default RE: Watercooled engine in a car...NEED YOUR HELP

with proper air ducting and running a cooler fuel/oil combo like campfuel and castor oil you could probably run the PUH (heli) engine and run some juiced up computer fan.
by the time you have all the liquid cooled components you'd be lucky to fit all on a goped much less stuff it in a car
Old 09-20-2005, 01:18 PM
w3bby

You can't race with it, it's against the international regs.
Seriously, why? More weight , more to go wrong and the potential to do more damage should something go wrong (scalding water all over the place)
Tuned car motors from the top guys do not only go for power, they have to last the length of the race so fuel economy is also important and they work within a stringent set of rules. I would guess if you did the same work as the boat boys do and don't worry about the fuel consumption you can get to the same power figures. Then, of course, cooling may be a problem..............................
Old 09-20-2005, 07:31 PM
nick88
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Water cooling really works, it sounds good for a car, but I have a few doubts. 1- The water that cools the engine comes from a lake, and the water is not used again. For a car, the water temperature will keep increasing as the engine runs. After a long run, that water will become extremely hot, and it may at that point cool better if it was air cooled. I am not saying that it is impossible, or won't work, I just think it won't work as well as you think. That would be neat though!
Old 09-21-2005, 03:14 AM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

Thanks guys for all the inputs

if i do it then its gonna have small radiator+fan, pump,...just like a real car

but there are lots of issues...weight, room for it to fit, will it actually work, what is i nthe middle of driving lets say my pump fails..the piston will melt lol
Old 09-21-2005, 12:44 PM
waterbug

If you hook up a radiator you will need a relief valve to set the system pressure. This is usually in the radiator cap at about 14psi. I doubt that the cooler that you would use at that scale would have a cap, so you will have to be creative. If you left the system unpressurized the coolant would most likely boil and cause engine damage. If you don't have a relief at all pressure will build until the weakest link pops, and any bystanders will get burned.

I would also highly recommend putting a high temperature shut down as close to the engine as possible. This type of switch is used all over in industrial applications so it shouldn't be hard to find. 50/50 ethylene glycol at 14 psi has about a 248 F boiling point, so you will want a switch that shuts you down at about 230 F.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:52 AM
vsop

I would say the best way of doing this is getting an engine and parts from a watercooled pocketbike and go from there.
You should be able to find a china made knockoff bike watercooled for about $270-$320