Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Bashed Super Sportster 60 Twin

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Bashed Super Sportster 60 Twin

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Arebeck
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bashed Super Sportster 60 Twin

I had a slightly damaged Super Sportster 60 hanging from the rafters in my basement along with the remnant of a Uravich OV-10 Bronco (small one) that consisted of 2 new Magnum XL28's, fuel tanks, and a flight pack. Having lost once to the twin fantasy (my fault, low, fast, through the sun inverted - ouch) I decided to put all the parts together and see if I could get it to fly.

I looked through some posts here on RCU, grabbed the plans of the Sportster and built some nacelles to fit the 28's. I should mention that I decided that I wanted to try to fiberglass the plane in anticipation of building a Pica 1/6 P40 later this winter. So I sheeted the wings, added the Nacelles, fiberglassed the wings and fuselage(3/4 oz and water based Polyurethane). Painted it up with Rustoleum and clear coated with spray on Polyurethane.

After I got it all togehter I decided to weigh the beast. In total it weighs 9 1/4 pounds. I got to thinking that the two 28's with 9x6 props might not move it very fast, so I started looking around the shop to see how many 40's I had. I was short one 40(my wife offered two 36's but I had to decline since I was on a mission!!)

I decided to try a taxi test and see if I needed to get another 40 to make it fly. Out to the field last Sunday when no one was around (some test flights need to be secret) I fired the engines up, tune them nicely and tried to taxi. I was amazed at how well the plane moved. I taxied again with the intent to get it off the ground and just put it back down. The monster lifted off and landed when I chopped the throttle.

I felt fortunate that this thing might work. It has a high wing loading, which should serve me well when I move to my P40.

Overall I am really surprised that two 28's were able to get the plane off of the ground. This got me to thnking on how would 2 28's translate into a single engine? Any thoughts out there?

This weekend I will see how well they keep it up in the air. I will post some photos after the first flight regardless of the outcome.

Fingers crossed and breath held,

Ron
Old 01-04-2005, 11:06 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bashed Super Sportster 60 Twin

My opinion only and others much smarter may not agree. Too much power is dangerous to a twin’s health. 28 “+ 28 is almost 60 and there is some added efficiency with two that I do not understand. You will gain much valuable experience by making twenty or so flights with the 28’s. Changing to bigger engines later is reasonably simple. Treating any engine out as a dead stick is a good policy. I’m flying 10 pounds plus about 30oz of fuel on two 25’s.

Bill
Old 01-05-2005, 06:51 AM
Arebeck

Bill,
The comparison to a .60 from two .28's is good to know. I flew the sportster with a .60 on before and it was OK. It was was a little lighter, about 7.5 pounds but it flew OK.

Thanks for the input,

Ron
Old 01-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

We need some pics.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Arebeck

I hope to get some this weekend, if and when it stops raining. In the past I refrained from photographing my planes until after the first flight. No real reason, just a habit that I got into. BUt I think that this plane was 'eyeballed' I will get some picture before and after. I hope that they look about the same.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:06 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pictures would be good.

Bill
Old 01-09-2005, 12:41 PM
Arebeck

THe weather cooperated today so I was able to get the twin to the field. I retunedt he engines, they wer both turning ~12,700 rpm with 9x6 APC's. The engines are Magnum XL-.28. THe idle seemed reliable so I decided to see how it flys. It took off in about 100 ft. Needed some right aileron correction and it flew OK. I am amazed at how fast it does go considering the weight ~9.5 pounds. I landed without incident, keeping the airspeed up and was able to fly it a little later in the mornig. I had to wait for my knees to stop knocking. ON the second flight i did a loop and it rolled out at the top. THe next loop was a little gbigger and it went around without incident. Upon landing I noticed that one of the aileron clevis pulled out of the control rod. I don't know how long I was flying with only one aileron but that was the last flight for this day.

I took a couple of pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61022.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	212712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20620.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	212713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23645.jpg
Views:	27