Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

BEST brushless

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:46 PM
usmcrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEST brushless

Been out of the RC loop for a while...a buddy wants to get the fastest motor(assuming its going to be brushless) that he can for his never been driven old yokomo touring car. It's 4 wheel drive and he wants it to go as fast as possible(who doesnt???). Whats the latest and greatest in brushless, ESC's, batteries, etc. these days? His car only has room for 6 regular style batteries. Can't remember differences between NiMh and Nicd...if that's what they're called. He needs all electrical. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:27 AM
usmcrc

Default RE: BEST brushless

Did some research...what is the difference between sensored and sensorless, besides that one is sensored and one isn't...what does it mean? I know, for brushed motors, the lower the turn count, the faster the motor. Am I correct to assume that this holds true for brushless as well? I also know that for brushed motors, the esc has to be able to accept that particular turn on the motor...again, same for a brushless? Is there a certain ESC for sensored and sensorless? Thanks again
Old 04-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Bosley2

Yes there are different ESC for sensored and sensorless motors such as Novak - Sensored and Mamba - sensorless. to work out of its a sensored motor, you will see some wires coming out in addition to the usual 3 wires for every BL motor. Thats about all i know . Also correct me if im wrong. Im still learning the BL motors in rc car sports
Old 04-11-2008, 11:57 AM
usmcrc

Thank you for the reply. Why use one over the other? advantages/disadvantages...
Old 04-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Access

If you must talk about "best" it would be a mamba max ESC and and a Neu motor, but that would kinda be an expensive waste considering the batteries, I think the best you can do with those batteries is a Novak XBR 8.5 or whatever that was, the other options can do okay with those batts but it can take some fine-tuning to get it right.

Sensored is adept at crawling, control under 300rpm, and starting smoothly even when your batteries are poor. You have to use a sensored motor with a sensored ESC.

Sensorless systems tend to be cheaper, more commonplace, they can use any motor (sensored or sensorless). For smooth starts, especially on terrain, your batteries have to be good, and the quality of the ESC's firmware makes a big difference as to how it starts and feels (mamba max is the best). The sensorless systems on the market today offer a lot more power than the sensored ones, and they cost significantly less.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:39 PM
usmcrc

Ya I definately think I started out this thread completely wrong by asking what the best is. That was a rough day. Thanks for all the input. Did some research and I'm thinking one of the Novak systems will be fine. Are there recent advances in LiPo? I strayed away from them when I went BL a couple years ago because I heard of people overcharging them and blowing up(the batteries) or just blowing up while driving the car. So I just went with a 7 cell 3700 GP matched set that I built for my xxx-t.