Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

My Engine won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Speed.Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Engine won't start

I got this truggy a bit ago and it never ran very good, most the times not at all.
Just disassembled everything and cleaned it all out pretty good, put it back together, charged everything, and it just won't start.
The glow plug works, I even tried my other one. The filter is clean, everything is on correctly in the right place.
Put new nitro in it, it's a pull start too and that's fine, nothing seems to be jamed, I've played with the tune ( Mettle piece with brass around it.. ) and nothing worked.
Now, I didn't mess with the idle screw, just with what I thought was the tuner.
I have the tubing in the correct position the book says to, but the tube that hooks onto the engine isn't pumping any gas into it, but it is into the exhaust. I'm sure this is the problem, I just don't know how to fix it.

Please help my troubleshoot my problem.

Sorry if this is the wrong section.

Last edited by Speed.Racer; 08-22-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:59 PM
nitroexpress

This would be a better forum for you to post on.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-...s-engines-269/

More information is needed. What brand of vehicle is this? What is the engine brand/model?
If it has been sitting for a long time, disassemble the carburetor and clean (especially the needles).
Old 08-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Sixtysixdeuce

You have to prime them, for starters. There's not enough volume generated by pull starting to pressurize the tank. Cover the exhaust outlet and pull the rip cord 4 or 5 times.

Also, what glow igniter are you using? I've found the alkaline ones to be iffy at best, often insufficient to start the engine, even though the plug glows out of the vehicle. And your plugs should glow BRIGHT orange. I like the Hobbico Hotshot II igniters.

Lastly, you need to be certain that the airflow at idle is correct. Too little or too much, you'll never get it going. Pull the air filter off and look at the gap through the venturi; it should be small, but noticeable, regardless of rotary or slide carb.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Speed.Racer

It's a xxx-Nt2 Losi with a O.S. CV-r 18

Pull start just broke, need to buy a new one. May just wait til a get a bit of spare money to put into it so it's not so stressful.

If I were to buy a new engine, how would I go about choosing the right one that fits to my vehicle properly?

I just don't wanna buy an engine that doesn't fit on my truggy.

Last edited by Speed.Racer; 08-22-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:58 PM
Sixtysixdeuce

The CV-R .18 is a good engine. Was this a used truck? Used motor? A properly broken in and maintained .18 CV-R should go 10+ gallons, but you can kill a good engine in a hurry if you don't treat it right. Or it might be just plain worn out. Pull the engine, remove the glow plug and see if you feel resistance at top dead center; if it just rolls over easily, the pinch is gone and you'll need a new piston & sleeve.

As for replacing it altogether, I have been very happy with the HPI Nitrostar .18 for the money. The one I just put in my black tub GT will easily flip the truck over backwards, and even on blow sand covered dirt roads with the wheels still spinning I clocked it at 46 MPH this afternoon. I scored this engine on eBay as a new HPI WR8 take out for $85 shipped. I don't know what set up the Losi uses, but the HPI motor is available in SG shaft or short shaft, rotary or slide carb, consistently priced under $100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HPI-Raci...#ht_1309wt_932

Just figure out which shaft & carb you need, and it'll bolt right in (may need shaft cutting like the OS motors do in some applications)

This is my black tub GT with that engine. I went with the SG shaft and used a 20T RC10GT2 clutch bell: