Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Monokote paint matching

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Monokote paint matching

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 06:40 PM
Dirtnaper
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote paint matching

OK I know this can be done, Ive seen it.

How do guys get thier cowls and covering to match perfectly. A good example is monokote metallic blue paint and film. Not a very close match. How do some do this do you have to have some one mix up a batch? Say auto paint for example???
Old 10-29-2005, 08:25 PM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Monokote paint matching

It's impossible to get consistent results because MonoKote colors are inconsistent between batches. My first experience with it was my first Corsair. I used two rolls of insignia blue and the plane looked like a patchwork quilt. I now buy the 18' rolls to insure the same color. But that, of course, works only if 18' will cover the plane.

As for Top Flite's paint, I gave up on that stuff for the above reason. Nothing wrong with the paint but I've never been able to get it to match.

The only way to get the colors to match is (1) buy the same batch of MonoKote (i.e., 18' roll) and (2) take a patch of it to the paint dealer and have it matched. I don't do that because of the expense; I just take my chances.

I usually try to select a MonoKote color that matches a Rustoleum (whose batches are consistent) color. For example, Rustoleum Sunrise Red #7762 matches MonoKote, Dark Red perfeclty. Rustoleum also sells a dark blue that matches MonoKote Insignia Blue very well.

Mike
Old 10-30-2005, 12:52 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Radio South sells Monokote matching paint in small cans. so you don't have to buy a quart of paint a coat of clear etc. etc. etc.
Dennis
Old 10-30-2005, 07:46 AM
Dirtnaper

I would like to know what kind of paint to go to when TF Lusterkote doesnt match. I have a 33% laser with a perfect monokote finish in metalic blue. Im pretty proud of it, you really have to search to find seems in the finish. However up front is a nasty cowl and hatch cover that dont even come close to matching. I have seen cowls covered in monokote right on top of the fiberglass (whoa Im not that good)

I wonder if some just dont go to a body shop?
Old 10-30-2005, 10:11 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Like i said earlier try Radio South. it is automotive paint. he sells it in smaller quantities for modelers.
Dennis
Old 10-30-2005, 10:25 AM
Campy

Another option is to have a quart of latex custom mixed. Spray it on, then let it dry for a MINIMUM of 14 days. At that point you will need to clear coat it to make it fuel proof (I use/prefer Ultracote clear ). The latex will cost about $8 - $10 for a quart. Most any exterior latex works fine. You should get a flat paint and rely on the clear coat for the gloss. Semi-gloss and gloss latex take about 4 weeks to cure.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:42 AM
mirwin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

d_bodary " . . . Radio South sells Monokote matching paint . . . " It seems to me that you would still have to deal with the poor color consistency between MonoKote batches. Radio South's paint might match one batch, but won't match the batch from which you might have bought a roll or two. How does one get around that?

Campy ". . . . have a quart of latex custom mixed. . . . " I think this is the ultimate solution, assuming one has the spray equipment to apply the paint. But will paint stores or Lowes or Home Depot custom mix only a quart of paint? I've been told by some that they'll mix only a gallon minimum.

Mike

Old 10-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Dirtnaper

I think radio south may be the solution

You can send them a 4"x4" pc of covering and/or paint and they can match it exactly
Old 10-30-2005, 02:22 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Are you using the right undercoat? Metallic paints usually require a silver or gold base coat
Old 10-30-2005, 09:00 PM
Dirtnaper

black white and silver

Then gave up, Im going to the mixed automotive paints.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Campy

ORIGINAL: mirwin

Campy ". . . . have a quart of latex custom mixed. . . . " I think this is the ultimate solution, assuming one has the spray equipment to apply the paint. But will paint stores or Lowes or Home Depot custom mix only a quart of paint? I've been told by some that they'll mix only a gallon minimum.

Mike

I don't know about Lowes, but Home Depot, Ace and True Value (at least here in Connecticut ) will custom mix quarts.