Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Warbirds over the Rockies

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Warbirds over the Rockies

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 05:40 PM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Warbirds over the Rockies

Just got home from a great weekend of flying in Denver, Colorado. We where 5 guys from the L.A. area who loaded up the trailer and drove 18 hours through some of the most awesome landscapes in America.

Warbirds over the Rockies is primarily prop planes, (I think there where 4 turbine jets present out of more than 100 planes) It's a great event, and it was my first time flying in thin air like that... 5200 Feet AGL. Wow, what a difference it makes.

My buddy Sung cleaned the trophy shelf and took home "Critics Choice", "Pilots Choice" and another Post WW2 trophy.... The Panther really makes an impact where is shows up, and Sung did a beautiful job flying the 50 Lbs bird. At our home field it gets airborne in about 300 feet, but in Colorado, it was really sluggish even after a 700 foot T/O run.

Here is the Panther with some snow covered mountains in the background. The Denver flying facility is one of the best in the country.

Old 06-06-2005, 06:06 PM
-JC-

Default RE: Warbirds over the Rockies

30 minutes drive time from the flying field we ran into snow, 30 degrees and miserable conditions... Suddently shorts and flip flops looked like it was a bad choice! And this is in June!!!!

But, we where also @ 11.000+ feet

Old 06-07-2005, 09:04 AM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John wrote: ... Suddently shorts and flip flops looked like it was a bad choice! And this is in June!!!!
Ah yes ... spring time in the Rockies! In less than 3 weeks we'll be sweltering with temps in the mid 80's! As many of you know, density altitude numbers get to be real challenging later in the summer. Glad you guys had a great time, John. The temporary operational loss of the (longer) E-W runway may have put a damper on some of the other drop dead gorgeous warbird jets that lurk along the Front Range - I know they're out there. Hopefully the Jefco gang will get the runway situation resolved as they *do* know how to put on a great show and the Chatfield Aerodrome is arguably one of the finest RC modeling facilities in the state.

Cheers.

Mike
Old 06-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That is one nice bird Wish i had one. Good luck in JWM
Old 06-07-2005, 09:39 PM
LadyDiFlies

John,
We really enjoyed having you guys at our event. Just think how good you jet pilots would get if you flew at this altitude more often! I'll bet you feel like you're flying on a big soft pillow at sea level after being up here in the clouds! We're looking forward to seeing more of your wonderful photo's on this and the Warbirds thread. Again, thanks so much for helping to make our event as fun and sucessful as it was.
By the way, check out this pic...Dino and I made Brian and the girls a little nervous...what fun!

Doug

http://www.jefcoaeromodlers.org/warbids2005.htm
Old 06-07-2005, 09:57 PM
thunderbolt-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

John:
Any pics of my now deceased "Pistol Packin Mama"?
Brian
Old 06-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Rojeck
My Feedback: (22)

Doug and Brian,

Had lots of fun at the event. It looked a little iffy on Saturday morning, but come afternoon and the sun it was all fun. Doug, the air made the take offs interesting and so did the temp difference between Saturday and Sunday. Will see you guys again next year.

Sung
Old 06-08-2005, 01:54 PM
-JC-

Doug, that is an incredible shot. Why does Brian feel this urge to fly in other peoples airspace

Brian, unfortunately, since we where in the same class at TG, I did not get any photos of PPM. Sorry. I guess our flight times must have been overlapping, because I just looked through my photos, and not a single one.

Got a few of your Spitty though.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:00 PM
john agnew

John

Thanks for the memory! I have driven that road many times on the way to ski at Keystone/ Copper/ Aspen / Winter Park etc. I can vouch for the fact that it's no fun in a blizzard especially if you don't have a four wheel drive!!

After that all night experience I ALWAYS rented a 4x4 Look forward , as always, to your stunning photographs.

Kindest regards

John